U-boat commander

Actually it depends on how much mud got into the car. Clear water isn’t as damaging as so many would have you believe, but mud is another story. If the water was clear, you could replace all the fluids except the antifreeze, then pull the plugs before turning the engine a couple of times to make sure no water in the cylinders. Then replace the plugs and fire it up.

You wish. The electrical connectors in the engine compartment are weather-tight, and may survive. But the under dash connectors, computer, and other control modules are not. They may dry and function for a start-up, but will be nothing but trouble as the connections and circuit boards corrode.

Alright, so in the end… we need a new car, regardless of what we do now. Thanks to all who responded.

No you do not need a new car, you cannot believe it but flooded cars do end up on lots all over the country. Follow previous advice and if it runs and goes put on the blinders and drive it till it drops.

Clear water for a short period of time will not cause any long therm corrosion. If the water was muddy, then the mud would hold the moisture against the connections and metal parts and things would corrode.

We used to take target drones that ended up in the ocean, flush them out in a fresh water bath and fly them again, over and over.

There might be some issues with any connections that are under the carpet as the carpet would keep them wet. Wires that do not terminate under the carpets will be ok.

Waterboy is half fish, half man.I think I saw the movie. Torpedo the car. Electrical glitches will happen at the worst places and times.

It is always interesting knowing the rest of the story. As a father of a daughter{and granddaughter]I’m happy for you that she is ok.

I agree with Keith. I is worth the try. It could be not so bad, but in either case, consider it good as you still have your daughter. I couple of years ago I lost a friend who lost it one night and ended up in one of those retention ponds. He never made it out of his car.

We are all glad everyone is ok. I answer questions as if it was my problem. So I offered my suggestions. Car fax may be able to warn you away from buying a flooded car, but if it was mine sitting in my driveway I would not trash it until checking it out. So how do you suppose all these water damaged cars end up on lots for sale? Because you can get them to run and look good, so if I can get the car to run and look good why would I throw it away. jmho

I saw James Bond do it once with a Lotus.

When I first read the post I did not have the context. Assuming it was pursuant to a possible purchase (we get tons of these) I pointe dout that cars are not designed to be submersed and this one is headed for chronic trouble. I’d never support purchasing a submerged car.

Knowing now the context, knowing that the OP already owns the car, I’d agree with those that say “why not try”. There’s everything to gain and nothing to lose. Change the fluids and filters out, drain everything you can drain, make sure he cylinders are purged with water, and go for it. And of it runs you can rip out the carpets, underlayment, and seats and replace them (to prevent mold problems). But don’t expect to get the long trouble-free life out of the car that it would have had had it not been submerged.

The Amphicars were fine cars and fine cars-made-to-go-in-water. They were not intended to be boats. If the OP only has liability insurance, he/she can forget about “totalling” it with the insurance. My advice to the OP would be not only get rid of the car, but set all your money on fire. Living in fear is the way to go.

As to the story about the VW floating, that may well have really happened, but it was also a TV commercial.

I originally asked for advice on this matter, obviously because I’m not a mechanic. I appreciate the real advice and conversation between the many who have offered help and compassion.
Live in fear… set your money on fire? What the heck are you talking about.

So, to everyone, thanks.

“Live in fear” is a shorthand for most of the advice people get on this board. If you’re not changing your oil every week and your timing belt monthly, you’re out of luck.

ok, thanks for your input my friend.

I had a neighbor in 1967 that tried to get to work when the streets were flooded with her VW Beetle and she drove far enough that her car was bobbing on the waves and some teenagers waded out and pulled her back by the rear bumper to where her rear tires had grip.

VW Bugs do float. We did it a couple of times back in school. Trouble is, there’s no way to control it in the water and it only floats for so long. We learned the hard way to tie a rope to it before putting it in the water… and don’t try the experiment in a river. The Sacramento River moves swifter than an inebriated college freshman.

Glad to hear your Daughter is ok, however I hope this wasn’t a case of distracted driving… could have been alot worse.

Well, maybe the daughter should still drive a clunker for a bit. I’d change the fluids and she can drive it till it’s dead. Who knows, maybe she’ll kill if first :slight_smile:

Glad to hear she is OK.

I actually own a flood victim, and have had no problems for 2 years. I am now having to replace some wires and connectors under the hood due to corrosion issues.
Honestly though, I believe it’s a crap shoot. I have been very lucky.