Turning the wheel while parked on a hill

IF . . your alignment is ever affected by curbing your wheels on a hill . . . you’re not doing it right .
Those people are the ones who are already butted up against . . sidewall to curb . . and try wrestling the wheel one way then the other to attempt to get the wheels angled.
and . .the people who turn the wheels then just let off the brake so the car bounces back to squash the tire on the curb.

Car suspensions are more robust then that ,I watched in horror as my wife rammed into at least an 8 inch vertical (maybe more) ramp with her Civic and it was rolling along at a fair clip at least 5 mph,fortunately it didnt seem to damage or affect the alignment( gave Her a pretty good talking too about being careless )

The “planar” suspension on the Studebakers through the 1949 models were easy to knock out of alignment. Consumer Reports noted this in its section on buying a used car in its 1952 automotive issue. It grouped used cars in three classifications:A, B, and C and listed trouble points with each specific car. If the alignment was o.k. on these Studebakers, it could be considered class A instead of B. Even so, I doubt that curbing the Studebaker carefully would throw it out of alignment. I point this out as a public service announcement to those of you driving 1947-49 Studebakers.
I think modern cars seem to hold.alignment better than earlier cars. I had to have my 1965 Rambler aligned every year. I haven’t had to do that on the cars I have owned since the Rambler.

The older I get the less sure I am of anything but I thought that meant I was getting dumber not smarter.

1 Like