Turning off your car at 55 mph

If a torque converter cannot reverse drive an engine then why can my 59 t-bird be bump started…lets see…rear wheels to rear end…rear end to driveshaft…driveshaft to output shaft
of transmission which drives rear pump…rear pump creates hydraulic pressure which engages the clutches in the tranny…tranny connected to torque converter…torque converter connected to engine…transmission now turning torque coverter …,which turns the engine…and it push starts…VERY SIMPLE

There’s a reason why I don’t register on medical forums and dole out advice on open heart surgery. I’m clueless in that field.

Now we’ve opened another can of worms. They have been talking about more recent transmissions.

that’s me, clueless

I have no intention of getting into an argument with you on that particular point.

Suffice it to say that I’m going to test, or rely on someone to test, a few 518 series transmissions. Maybe 3 or 4 of them would be a representative cross-section and I’ll post back with the results.

I’d also add that I don’t think for one second that you’re lying about this (never did actually) and I’m perfectly willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on your testing method.
Sorting this out and hearing a legitimate technical explantion as to why your test is effective would help a lot but so far I’ve heard nothing remotely close.
The ankle bone connected to the shin bone which is connected to the knee bone stuff doesn’t do it for me.

So no one has had a car stall on them while on the interstate? Driving in heavy rain with bad wire has caused this to happen on more than one occasion.

I?ve also shut off numerous different cars/trucks on the highway just to see what would happen. Nothing exciting happens. Many autos will restart when you turn the key back to run. If it doesn?t restart, I just pop it into neutral, restart, and keep driving.

My transmission is a 46RE
I have no official reason why my tranny does what it does BUT I and others, believe that when everything is movinmg you have the pressure from the pump, running off the engine. when you turn off the engine everything is still turning, and will keep on turning until you reach such a slow speed that the engine stalls. Once that happens, the engine is not turning and will not start up if you put the car in gear.
I would like to go to a transmission shop and ask some questions, but I doubt if they would want to fool with it.

Rear pump being driven by the output shaft by way of rear wheels, gear selector in “D” so the valve body is directing hydraulic pressure to clutch assys. Now the transmission has provided a solid link from the rear wheels to the engine through the converter. All of our latest, greatest transmissions from the earlier 60’s did away with the rear pumps so now the transmission is the break in the link from the rear wheels to the engine. Wheels turn, output shaft/s turn without any clutch assys applied, so now the input shaft will not turn.

transman

Most steering wheels lock, and/or power steering lost, engine dies,and electric gauges go dead.

You don’t have to turn the key to “lock” to turn it off. Whatchu talkin about??

I was thinking, i don’t thik I ever saw any shaft from the tranny connected to the flywheel or crankshaft. ( in an automatic ) Am I mistaken? How can a tranny drive an engine when they are not connected? (except thru a converter?)

I think I’m gonna open up a new forum, with a new name. This one has gotten far ftom the OP’s questioon, a long time ago. What should we call it?

That I can agree with 100%

Well, it seems that this discussion has finally reached the end. I would still like to ask transman one more question: When you made your road tests, you did it with the ignition OFF. Would the result have been different if you left the ignition ON? You say the converter can never "reverse Drive the engine. Won’t it with the key ON? Do you have a tachometer? Perhaps you can try it on a vehicle with a tach.
I have opened a new forum called “can a torque converter reverse drive an engine.” I have gotten some positive reports there.

My 2011 Prius shuts off at 55 mph when I am going down a steep incline all the time. It’s a feature of the car, so I guess it does NO DAMAGE. Oh wait, it recharges the traction battery. But the point is that the gas engine is off.

I have done this in the past, on old fashioned cars. Automatics, and Manuals, and nothing adverse happened to the car.

However, if you think that you can save your car after the timing belt fails, to save your engine, you are deluded! As was said, the engine is turning 40-50 times per second, and once the piston hits a valve, it’s over!

I have been doing this on a regular basis, because my [manual tranny} Volvo has a flakey air mass meter (mass airflow sensor). When the ignition is turned off the platinum wire in the sensor is heated to 1832 d. F. to clean it. If I am cruising at 60-75 and start to gradually lose acceleration I turn the ignition off for a few seconds and when I turn the key back to run, most times the condition is corrected. Don’t know how recommended it is, but it has worked a hundred times with no bad effects.

I remember being told by a friend of my Dad that on this friend’s 1942 Chrysler with the “lift and clunk” semi-automatic transmission that when one lifted his foot off the accelerator so that the transmission would shift, the ignition was interrupted just as the transmission shifted. My dad owned two cars with the lift and clunk transmission–a 1947 DeSoto and a 1952 Dodge. I was never certain whether or not the spark was killed as the transmission shifted.
I’ve also wondered if the ignition was interrupted on cars equipped with the Borg-Warner automatic overdrive when one let up on the accelerator so that the overdrive would kick in. I was riding in a 1951 Henry J with a 4 cylinder engine and the overdrive transmission. When my friend would let up on the accelerator to let the overdrive kick in, the oil pressure warning light and the generator warning light would blink on for just a second. My friend said that it was because the engine rpm dropped way down–I thought it was because the ignition was being interrupted. (If someone can answer this for me, I will sleep well tonight. I haven’t slept at night for over 50 years thinking about this).

transman, it’s too bad you don’t know about the transmission in my 96 Dodge.

ok50, from some of the remarks you have made on here, maybe you should try heart surgery!!

176 posts…Talk about thread drift…

A post was split to a new topic: To change or not to change the battery?