Turbo engines and Short Distance Driving

The 2017 and 2018 CR-Vs were rated ‘clunkers’ in carcomplaints because of the gas in oil problem:
Honda CR-V Problems | CarComplaints.com

turbo (T) sticks right into your face as you open the hood, so it’s extremely easy to get there and replace cartridge for example… I would not even be surprised if high-temp side removal from the engine block is not needed:

the wastegate valve is controlled electronically, marked that with “V”

the catalyst (“C”) has a heavy thermal casing and looks like “samovar”, then it goes to flex-pipe and off it goes to resonator and mufflers

everything is so damn compact and simple

and in 2019 these complaints are gone… as the heat-scavenge coolant loop was added

1 Like

Lots of folks can’t put gas in right, so I’m gonna say 80-90 percent of the population would pay to have someone else do it. Not you, obviously.

my point was what it will be relatively low number of billable work-hours, as to compare to some obscure location, necessitating half of the engine bay disassembly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I gotcha. No idea what that would cost. I got a $600 labor quote to replace a converter / manifold assembly, but it was a v6, on the back, and at the dealer. Still…I’d bet around that price at a dealer to replace turbo.

all things considered, if we are to compare small-displacement engine with turbo and equivalent V6, I might assume that small one might be at least not slower (maybe even faster?) than V6 to get warmed up, given car maker did not do stupid things like Honda in 2017/2018…

so, back to OP’ original question, I would not consider turbo a disqualifying factor, but @circuitsmith had a better point that plugin hybrid may be the best for the use case

My BIL just bought a new Ford. I think he said it had two turbos with three cylinders. Double your pleasure, triple your fun.