Turbo engines and Short Distance Driving

Sometime back in the '70s, the NJ State Police began buying 6-cylinder Volvos for patrol duty on the NJ Turnpike. I think that this was due to high gas bills for their “standard” patrol cars–Chrysler New Yorker 6-window sedans. (Yes, they really did use those behemoths for turnpike patrol duty in those days!)

Anyway, after a lot of negative public reaction to those Volvos, plus poor reliability and the simple fact that they lacked the power of those Chryslers, that experiment lasted less than one year and they went back to buying Chrysler New Yorkers for duty on the turnpike and the Garden State Parkway. For state patrol duty on “regular” highways, they continued to use full-size Ford sedans.

When the Aspen Colorado police department selected Saabs back in the mid 1970s, they were supposedly the first to select vehicles not produced by Detroit’s “Big 3” (Ford, Chevy, Chrysler). It made the national news.

That’s the dealer.

Back to the original question, I don’t think that short trip driving is going to be particularly hard on the turbo engine.

Heat is the killer of turbos, mostly heat that significantly raises the oil temperature. Unless you drive it very hard between the stop lights, i.e., you have to win every “race”, the turbos should not get as hot as they would with high speed interstate driving.

If you go with the turbo engine and you are still concerned, one trick to help is that if the last mile is not done at low speeds and low load, then let the engine idle for about 15 to 30 seconds before shutdown. This will allow oil to flow through the center bearing to cool it down first.

1 Like

She should buy what she wants but also buy the Honda extended warranty, not a 3rd party one.

Thanks for the information. It seems that Turbo engines aren’t something that needs to be avoided, if you just log short trips.

My wife’s family has a history with Buick’s … and she is really liking the Encore GX. We will proceed with that since we needn’t worry about its turbo.

Instead of 15 to 30 seconds I would say 4 to 5 minutes before shutdown.

Sit there with the engine idling for 4 to 5 minutes? I can’t imagine doing that.

if one is so concerned to “preserve” his turbo with that cool-down period - press “remote start” button and let it run through whatever timeout is… which I think is something like 10 minutes… and leave

that would not work for in-garage parking although

I was under impression that oil starvation issue was solved long ago, by force-circulating oil after engine shut-off, but I might be mistaken

Maybe I am to old school but I have never shut one down for at least 5 minutes I have had some of the diesels I drove that had an automatic turbo shutdown that would d it if you are there or not I don’t know if they make an after market one or not if the vehicle did not come with one.

What I’ve found on a google search typically suggests 15 seconds after light driving, 60 seconds if you just came off the freeway. That I would do.

1 Like

just out of curiosity, I tried to find how much parts would cost to replace turbo on 1.5 liter engine used in Civic and CR-V

apparently, OEM fully assembled thing with electronic valve installed goes around a grand, while cartridge-only replacement may be found for $300-500, it is Mitsubishi D025 service kit that is OEM

now I feel better about my wife getting 2022 Civic with 1.5 liters last Saturday :slight_smile:
for that costs, I don’t care for cool-down and if it lasts 10 years or 15 years

I couldn’t find any recommended cool down in the CR-V owners manual.

Maybe on newer vehicles with proper maintenance that would be OK it has been awhile since I had a diesel and every one I had has been a heavy truck I never had one in a car I am not disputing your knowledge just going by my own experience.

I have only had to replace one on a truck I owned it had a Caterpillar diesel in it the turbo was 1500$ with a 700$ core charge.

I do not believe modern turbos to be of concern too, yet some people try avoiding them and sticking to “good old V6” for the same performance… yet the pool of cars offering V6 dries out quickly

worst case scenario, it’s not that terrible cost to replace…

Not if the rest of the car is in good shape otherwise.

The Honda 1.5 turbo has had problems with fuel-in-oil dilution.

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda-extends-warranty-address-15l-gas-oil-dilution-problem

Better factor in the install cost if the owner isn’t a DIY type… Might get kind of pricey depending on how easy it is to get to. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new or low mileage car with a turbo. I think I’d pass on a well used one, though and stick to NA. That’s just me personally.

I saw that previously. My in laws have a turbo Accord. Pretty neat car. They were unaware it even had a turbo. Hopefully it doesn’t give them any problems. I doubt they even check the oil. Since it’s so new, I bet they assume the oil level is fine.