Trustworth Mechanics

I don’t see one word of this as being any indication of shady dealings. Cars, in their entirety, are a wear item. They’re a collection of used parts any of which are subject to failure at any time. If one sits and really ponders the beating and stresses that a car takes it’s an utter miracle that every single brand new car manages to last a week.

Critters do stash stuff in cars and it happens all of the time. I’ve seen cars towed in that would not even run because the air filter housing was full of dried dog food that was stashed there by pack rats.

Another is near brand new SAAB (7k miles on it) in which the front brakes on one side were absolutely trashed and the brake rotor shredded to junk because a large rat just happened to be riding on the caliper when the owner took off. This led to the rat getting caught in the caliper which locked the caliper up, and not only was the brake rotor/pads wiped out there wasn’t much left of the rat either other than a lot of fur, part of a tail, and a couple of feet.
(This is not an old wives tale. I’m the guy who had to repair this mess.)

There is no conspiracy going on and accusing a mechanic of planting acorns under the hood is really grasping.

In many cases that is true. After all, some companies make “universal” coolant that can supposedly be mixed with any color coolant. The exception to this rule is GM’s Dexcool long life coolant. It has a history of causing head gasket problems if left in too long or mixed with other coolants.

If you change your coolant on a regular basis and the vehicle isn’t under warranty, you can switch coolants. But it is necessary to flush [i]all[/i] of the old coolant out first.

If it is your daughter’s car and she is responsible for the mistake, by all means, let her pay for the repair. She will learn a lesson she won’t soon forget.

She’s asking if she can drive the car…it’s been sitting and she’s driving the Asto. Her boyfriend’s step-dad is planning on taking a look at it tomorrow…he’s flying today. I told her I don’t know, but she know’s to watch the temp gauge.

First off, I don’t think anyone on these posts will be able to determine whether or not you have been taken advantage of. All you can do is read all the responses and come up with a generalized, educated opinion based what the majority of the posters say. I do know I purchased a gallon of 50-50 (premixed) prestone (greenish yellow) antifreeze recently and it said it can safely be mixed with all colors of antifreeze. But the price did startle me, I think it was $12 at autozone. The last time I bought some (few years ago) it was more in the $8 dollar range. I didn’t complain, I just felt fortunate that it had been so long since I had to buy some. Is your mechanic ripping you off? That is a relative term. I used to be a mechanic and I can tell you that it is hard, knuckle busting work that I hope and pray I will never have to do for a living again. I have worked along side less than ethical mechanics as well as totally honest and reliable mechanics. I brought my sons car into a shop last year for not starting and when I picked it up, the bill came to over $300 bucks. They told me that his ignition module and coil needed replacement. It is possible (I guess) that they both went out at the exact same time, or one caused the other to go out, but I highly doubt it. (Based on my 4 years of schooling - (Auto Tec BS degree at Weber State U) and 15+ years working as a tech). I think the mechanic might have just changed parts until he found the problem. I could have complained, asked to be returned the old parts, etc, but in the interest of time, I just picked up the car and left. I will never go there again, because I didn’t feel like I had a good experience with that shop. You need to do the same thing. Loyality needs to be earned. I do know technicians that will “find” something wrong with your car in order to generate business. The average customer doesn’t know enough about the mechanical workings in the average auto to even question whether or not the diagnosis is proper. The best thing that can happen for the consumers is to have sting operations (like they do on 20-20 or dateline)in every city, and try to bust the bad shops. And then make the results available for everyone to see, similar to how the Health Department does when they do health inspections at restaurants. But alas, there is no way that will ever happen because the resources are just not available to support that kind of effort. If that were to happen, it might help “keep folks honest”. In these turbulant economic times, I expect auto repair “rip-offs” will continue to grow, as some of the shops are seeing a drop in business because financially strapped consumers are putting off repairs. I think word-of-mouth references are probably the best way to find a decent mechanic. There are a ton of good, honest mechanics out there, the trick is to find them. Even in some of the fast lube and chain shops that get bashed so often on this site, there are hard working, honest mechanics. There is a lot of pressure put on the “service writers” to generate business, and many of them are really good at that. I certainly wouldn’t stay away from a mechanic if I thought he was a good one just because of where he worked. There are very few out of work auto mechanics. (just take a look at the classifieds in any city). That should be an indication that some shops are having a hard time finding good mechanics and have to “settle” for someone who shows up to work on a regular basis. Finally I want to address what you mentioned at the end of your post. “how many repairs were done…”. If it’s a slow day, and you bring your car into a repair shop for a safety inspection (for the counties that have those)or any other work, if the mechanic or service writer says your “tie rod ends are worn” or your “motor mounts are worn” or almost anything else that is worn but you do not have any drivability problems related to it. When that happens, I would be question do you really need to have that work done? How worn? There are limits set by the manufacture, but for the most part, there are very few limits set by states for a vehicle not passing the safety inspection, with the exception of brake pad thickness. It is usually left to a judgement call by the mechanic. If he/she feels it is unsafe or worn excessively, they can fail the inspection. Obviously if you have a leaking brake line, that is a serious situation. But just because a mechanic can show you a small amount of play in the tie rod ends,ball joints, etc, doesn’t mean you’re due for a catistraphic failure. If they don’t put a micrometer (tool for measuring thousands of an inch) on the part and show you exactly how much play you have, then take you to a manufacturers manual that shows your part exceeded maximum limits, you might consider getting a second opinion. I am not saying if your tires are wearing excessively on the edge of the tread, or your steering wheel is shaking, and the mechanic says you need new tie rod ends, then of course that is different. I’m also not saying if the mechanic shows you something and anyone with half a brain can see that it is obviously worn out, use common sense. But what I am saying if you are not experiencing any sort of drivability problem, and the mechanic says you need to replace expensive parts, question it. This might upset many mechanics, but I have seen hundreds (maybe thousands?) of parts replaced that still had many miles of safe reliable life left in them. All in the name of “business generation”. I appoligize if my rant upset any honest hard working mechanics - if they, or you feel I misguided anyone or told any untruths. This is strictly all in my humble opinion… If I shed some light on the subject anyone out there can use, then I probably did more good than harm.

I agree. Rodents do all kinds of strange things. My old Oldsmobile ran about 1/4 block from my house and bucked to a stop. We pushed it back to the house and I found that I had no gas at the carburetor. I figured it was the fuel pump, so I had it towed to my mechanic. He called back 20 minutes after the tow truck left and said he had my car running. Chipmonks had eaten the fuel line going into the fuel pump. My air conditioning unit quit functioning at my house. The technician found that chipmonks gnawed the thermostat line to the outdoor unit. Our little dog had been very good at catching and killing chipmonks. My wife would scold the dog when she did that. After these incidents, the dog was rewarded everytime she got a chipmonk.

When you locate a potential new mechanic, please be sure to quiz him/her on their religious practices, to be sure that he/she meets your requirements.

In my area, there are Hindu, Jewish, and Muslim mechanics, and I am sure that none of them would meet your personal standards, no matter how competent and honest they might be. Perhaps you can formulate a questionnaire to give to potential mechanics so that you can properly evaluate them, based on their religion.

“There is no conspiracy going on and accusing a mechanic of planting acorns under the hood is really grasping.”

Not only is that grasping, but this type of suspicion is surely reminiscent of paranoid behavior.

and by the way, my guy on craigslist is a Christian.

And what the hell does that prove? Christians can be just as dishonest as anyone else. This is just like the Amsoil comment below. It is meaningless and proves nothing.

Nobody was is laughing at your ignorance, although this “Christian” comment has me laughing at your ignorance right now. We were laughing at your unrealistic expectations, passive-aggressive behavior, and paranoia.

By the way, your engine flush could also have caused your head gasket problem, especially if you didn’t follow the instructions to the letter or you didn’t get it all out afterward. If you drove the car with engine flush in the cooling system, or if you didn’t flush the system with water to get all of the engine flush out, you definitely caused the damage.

The more I read, the more I trust your shameless unfaithful hussy-marrying mechanic’s skills, and I haven’t even met the guy.

Now we have gotten to the root of the issue. You don’t trust your mechanic because you don’t approve of his personal life choices. Frankly, those are none of your business. His professional skills should be your only consideration. Didn’t Jesus say something like “Judge not, lest ye be judged”?

I’m ashamed for him…and by the way, my guy on craigslist is a Christian.

Living in the middle of the Bible Belt for 2 years I came across several Christian Businesses. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WERE CROOKS. It’s NOT their words that define a person, but their actions.

JMHO, but religion and the workplace should be kept separated. The last people you should trust is someone who is touting their devout religious beliefs in an effort to make you feel secure about the job they’re doing.

There is a gentleman in OK City who was a standout football player for a major university here and became a long time business owner performing roofing, siding, and window work.
He advertised for decades on TV and threw the religion angle in on every commercial; the cross, the fish, etc.

This guy also finally ran into a wall and went under after screwing too many people over and for far too much money.
I’ve seen part of his court records and even the part I’ve seen is very lengthy; a parade of lawsuits by disgruntled homeowners and lending institutions.

Many years ago I worked for a Nissan dealer who did the same thing. The business was pretty much family run and they were all “deeply religious”. They all attended one of the largest and wealthiest churches in town.
They also made it a point to make sure that every Sunday they were driving immaculate dealer demo cars WITH the window stickers in place to every church service.
This of course led to a large number of sales from fellow churchgoers.

As to any argument “well, what’s wrong with that”. The wrong part would be that on a Saturday they would lie and simply blow off any customer cars that were supposed to be delivered that day because the goal for the day was to make sure their church demos were ready.
Many people who were promised their new vehicles wound up angry or frustrated by being put off until the following week while never knowing the real reason for the delay.

They also made it a point to contribute heavily to the church and this got them a perk. This perk was reserved parking places near the front door and this meant everyone exiting church got to see those shiny new, sticker in the window Nissans parked up close. The church was essentially a sales lot to them.

This is off topic from the original post, but that Church-going-salesman had a pretty good idea. I’ve never heard of or thought of that, but look at the free advertising he got. He was pretty slick. I don’t agree with ever mixing religion with business, but you got to admit that guy was a salesman through and through. Sort of like the late owner of the Utah Jazz. He was quite a wealthy business man, with many car dealerships in several states as well as a fine upstanding member of the local Utah religion. He actually did a lot for the state of Utah. He was a very generous man. He always had new cars on display at Utah Jazz games, and many other events. (free advertising) An interesting observation is that when the Utah Jazz played Mon through Sat, he had his court side seat, and hardly misssed a game. The camera frequently focused on his reactions to certain plays and ref calls. But when the Jazz played on sunday, he could only be seen occasionally back stage behind the scenes and behind the view of most cameras, because the “church” didn’t approve of that type of behavior on Sun. Funny, huh?

There is probably a Christian mechanic who runs his businesses out of craigslist that should advise you on that.

My experience with religion and business is that if people openly tout their religion as the reason they should be trusted you should be very wary. If, on the other hand, they silently live their religion (walk the walk, not just talk the talk) it says a lot to me in favor of their character.

Unfortunately there are many hypocrites out there who use religion primarily as a selling point. There are others out there who are sincere and are actually trying to live what they’re being taught and it is impacting them positively. Discovering that someone falls into the second category usually takes some time. I have had a lot of good mechanics work on my cars through the years who I doubt were very religious at all, along with some who were religious but weren’t at all flashy about it. Word of mouth seems to work best for me in finding good, honest people to work with.

Ask a mechanic, or dealer’s service or parts department (whomever you trust) about the car maker bring out new and improved gaskets. There is probably a Technical Service Bulletin, from the car maker, about the sealing problem and newly designed gaskets.

She only seems to trust people who tout their religious beliefs and live perfect lives. Unfortunately, Jesus isn’t available to work on her car. He is too busy being my co-pilot. :slight_smile:

Maybe if she used Holy Water for coolant she wouldn’t have these problems!

Every thing you mentioned sounds likely, especially on a 97 Grand Prix, you know those are not the most reliable cars around. Intakes are a given on those, Mice love it under those covers on the 3.8l motor. Sounds like you are looking for a scape goat for your old junker. Rodents under the hood are nothing new, maybe you should research rodent behavior, what you find may be an epiphany.
You sound a bit naive or ignorant, if your mechanic on craigs list was so good go with him from now on. You have an old car that wasn’t reliable when it was new, it won’t get any better as it gets old.

When I was a mechanic I always said, (especially on Gm rubbish) I didn’t build it, I didn’t buy it, and I didn’t break it.