Trouble with a '96 Buick Riviera

Hello everyone. I drive a 1996 Buick Riviera, and I am having some trouble with it. Two things occasionally go wrong, rendering the car temporarily immobile. They both seem to be much more likely to happen when it is cold (10-30 deg F). 1). The first problem has been happening for about a year. Occasionally when I am driving down the road, the battery light will turn on. Within a couple of minutes the engine will stop running and the power steering goes out, but all electronics keep running. I mention this because it seems that the problem is neither the battery nor the alternator, both of which are new. If I try to start it again immediately, it will generally die right as I put it into gear. If I wait 5-10 minutes and start it, it will generally start right up and run, and the car may or may not continue to run until I get to my destination. 2). The second problem started only about 2 months ago. Some days when I try to start it, the engine tries to turn over but won’t quite start running. I hear this strange clicking noise coming from the lower-rear portion of the car, which I suspect may have something to do with the fuel pump. Anyway, the car will not start, and I generally have to wait until later in the day for it to start. Again, these problems both seem to be aggravated by the cold. Does anyone have any ideas? Are these problems related?

The alternator may not be getting the exciter voltage it needs to have when you see the warning light turn on. This may be due to a faulty ignition switch or electrical connection somewhere. I would check the voltage on the wires on the back side of the alternator while things are woring then compare the reading when the trouble happens to see what shows up.

When the engine won’t run try spraying some starter fluid into the intake and see what happens.

Remove some possibilities: electrical cables and wire connections. Disconnect the battery cables and file, or wire brush, inside the cable loops, and sand (or, wire brush) the battery posts. Disconnect electrical cables attached to the alternator. Remember, these cables have 12 volts. Sand these cable terminals. Re-attach these cables (wires) firmly (not, overly tight). Swab the battery posts and cable terminals with petroleum jelly and re-attach.