Trouble setting timing on 1996 GM 2.2l engine

Thanks again, everyone. I’m going investigate the MAP ground issue and take a look at the threads on the #1 cylinder hole as GeorgeSanJose suggested. If the threads are good enough for a seal, I’ll do a leakdown test. If they’re not, I’m thinking of chasing them with a tap first. Thoughts?

Re: Yosemite and Nevada_545, I didn’t use the starter to rotate the engine, just a wrench. But I did have to rotate the cam and crank independently due to some mistakes I made, and several times I felt piston/valve contact and had to back off and and try again. Maybe I bent a valve.

Re: pleasedodgevan2, I think spark plug wires were a definite possibility, but I think they’re eliminated at this point.

I also replaced the head gasket when I put the head back on, so maybe I screwed that up. Hopefully a leakdown test will tell.

I’ll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone for your help

I recently replaced the camshaft

I think you are on the right track OP. If that doesn’t pan out, here’s an offbeat possibility. I’ve read about engine rebuilds where the spark plug firing order is changed. On purpose. Not sure the motivation, but it is sometimes possible to change the spark plug firing order if you want. I’m unsure if this can be done with just a camshaft replacement, but it can definitely be done by changing both the camshaft and the crankshaft. Is there any chance your new camshaft didn’t have the same firing order configuration as the original?