Trivia

Interesting Minimum Wage By State Chart.
The Current Federal Minimum Appears To Be $7.25/Hour.

Many states are right around $7.25.
Oregon $8.95
Washington $9.19

This source includes a disclaimer as to the accuracy, but it gives an idea of the variety and probably reflects quite a bit on the differences in cost of living, which is my main point.

CSA

The federal minimum wage IS 7.25 . The deviation from that is relatively small nation wide. Oregon and Washington seem to be outliers. Other then being a bunch of progressive long hair hippy liberals, I would not hazzard a guess as to why they are as high as they are.

Cost Of Living.
CSA

http://www.cityrating.com/cost-of-living/washington/#.UVBklWt5mSM
A least here, the state wide price index for the cost of living is lower in WA then the national average.
While the average salary is higher.

The actual cost to consumers in monies may be higher, for other reasons. It’s a local prerogative to raise property taxes. Those represent actual amounts. It’s apparent that higher wages do not seem to increase the prices of goods and services as someone may claim. That I believe is the common misconception…high wages, higher prices.

Goes To Show That Not Only One Size Does Not Fit All Nationally, But Also State-Wide. Look At Seattle, For Example. Cities Within States Have Large Differences In Costs Of Living And Wages.

CSA

Each city has it’s own set of dynamics. Seattle has very expensive real estate. It’s a state wide comparisons that do not reflect what happens in individual towns. You can’t compare the spread and use it as a reference by just looking at cities when it is a state wide price index v staewide minimum wage.
I live on a lake as do many in our town perhaps even yours and our real estate values with their high taxes make our immediate cost of living high. That certainly doesn’t reflect the cost of living in other parts of the state. That’s why the price index overall is the best indicator and direct indicator…ie.Minimum wage and prices of goods.

Btw, @csa
Check this informative site out
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bes_edu_ind-education-best-educated-index
I’m saving bookmarking this site !

On an unrelated topic…http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-death-rate-per-100-000
Check this to compare states with toughest gun laws v homicide shootings…
They (gun laws) compare favorable with gun violence.

I miss the old days.

found some old timey ads awhile back. Advertising sure was different back then

photo pub_vintage_017.jpg
photo pub_vintage_014.jpg
photo pub_vintage_022.jpg
photo pub_vintage_023.jpg
photo pub_vintage_036.jpg
photo pub_vintage_018.jpg
photo pub_vintage_046.jpg
photo pub_vintage_003.jpg
photo pub_vintage_041.jpg
photo pub_vintage_026.jpg
photo pub_vintage_012.jpg
photo pub_vintage_043.jpg
photo pub_vintage_045.jpg
photo pub_vintage_047.jpg
photo pub_vintage_049.jpg
photo pub_vintage_051.jpg

Wow how far we have come. I’m still not convinced it it totally in the right direction though. I used to have a Tommy gun, pop gun, cork gun, cadet training rifle, Roy Rogers six guns, bow and arrow . . . its a wonder anyone lived.

pingpong, pump action, 6 shooter.here,
I assume you made your own bow and arrows and slingshot?

Naw, bought the bow but made sling shots out of old inner tubes.

My Family Still Has A Gun Rack In Our Family Room With 4 Daisy Red Ryders On It. America, Apple Pie, Chevrolet, And Daisy Red Ryders.

My wife, my son, my daughter, and I each own one and through the past many years, have fun shooting contest in the back yard. I grew up with a Daisy and wanted to be sure that my kids developed the same appreciation for sport shooting and gave them the opportunity.

I also have my assortment of hand guns, rifles (.22 and some serious fire power) and shotguns, but the neighbors get rattled when we use them at home. We take those 2 miles down the road to the sand pit when we compete with them.

America, what a country !

CSA

We Certainly Have Come A Long Way ! I Saw This The Other Day. Unbelievable.

Delaware Online, March 20, 2013:
" Facebook picture of boy with gun brings cops to home, NJ family says "

http://www.delawareonline.com/viewart/20130320/NEWS/130320002/Facebook-picture-boy-gun-brings-cops-home-NJ-family-says

America, what a country ( if we can keep her ) !

CSA

Nice ads. They remind me of the days when people were free to make their own decisions and everyone recognized that men and women were different. Equal, but different. And we probably grew up able to make better decisions and had more respect for the opposite gender because of it.

Has Mayor Bloomberg seen these?

Gun Control Advocates Gone Amok, Soft Drink Ban Nuts, Video Speeding Tickets, School Aides Seizing Children’s Lunches . . . This Crap’s Got To End !

Does Anybody Really Want to Live In Country Where You Receive A Call At Work And It’s Your Wife Wanting You To Come Home To A Living Room Full Of Armed Officers Wanting To Question You For Something You’ve Done Legally ?

CSA

Congratulations. The day of “Big Brother” is here.

Anyone walking in public with that or any similar weapon could find themselves being shot at in self defense. Wouldn’t it be wise to keep such a rifle in a case of some kind when in public?

I’ve never seen a rifle carried in a case, but handguns should always be holstered in public and one should never carry a rifle with his/her hand on the trigger guard. But a lot depends on the locale. I’m guessing that there are areas in the country (incluing Alaska) where handguns and rifles are normal and nobody even notices, but you’d be a fool to walk through NYC with any weapon in view.

Yeah forgot about the BB gun. I’ve told this before but when I was about 13, Montgomery Wards had Enfield 303 surplus Army rifles on sale for about $15. Three of us ordered one each. Rode our bikes down to pick them up, stopped at the sporting goods store for a box of Ammo for $5 and went out to the gravel pit alone to try them out. We decided the ammo was too expensive so sold them again. We never shot anyone or even thought about it and no one thought anything of it.