Trip/mpg displays

When I first got a Lincoln with the Message Center I was pretty skeptical about it and considered it an electronic gee-whiz toy; nothing more.
After some time playing with it I have to say it would be difficult to live without it as it monitors everything.

I even set it on the Instantaneous MPG feature and in areas with no traffic learned to keep an eye on the display while developing a feel to obtain the best MPG. It conditioned the foot so to speak.
That 0 to 25 and getting the mass moving is when it’s in the single digits… :frowning:

Our Hyundai is also very reliable. We use it often on long trips and it is never far off. It’s a very handy feature and really shouldn’t be expensive as the as size of the tires and number of revolutions are easy.
to count. Modern injection systems are also quite precise at measuring the fuel.

393 miles - 26.026 MPG - 26.1 display.

226 miles - 27.098 MPG - 27.1 display

269 miles - 27.008 MPG - 27.0 display

353 miles - 25.841 MPG - 25.9 display

This accuracy to the nearest thousandth of a mile per gallon is great and it appears that the MPG feature rounds the mileage to the nearest tenth of a mile per gallon. When I calculate mpg, I take the reading on the trip odometer and round it up or down to the nearest ten miles. I take the gallons I pumped into the tank and round it to the nearest half gallon. I then do a rough division in my head and that approximation is good enough for me. My approximation is good to the nearest half mile per gallon. It is good to keep track of the gasoline mileage as one indicator of the overall health of the engine. However, I have never been compulsive about it.

I used to manually check my MPG quite often. When I purchased my current vehicle with MPG display I considered it to good to be true and did not trust it. After checking several times I discovered it to be surprisingly accurate.