Transmission Service at 50,000 Miles? 2015 VW Jetta

The service writer handles both sides of the transaction. The scheduling of service and closure once done. That service writer knows what was asked initially and since they mentioned it afterward, also knew what should have been done. What more needs to be defined?

1 Like

Lots of cars come with sealed automatic transmissions, or with labels on the transmission dipstick that say “lifetime transmission fluid” or “no need to replace transmission fluid”. That’s just a marketing gimmick–I would still do it anyways.

I am not a professional mechanic, and cannot say what a professional mechanic would recommend, but I do change the transmission fluid and filter on our cars every 10 years, which is about 60,000 miles. And of course, if I buy a used car, I do this immediately after I own it. I have never had transmission problems on any car that I have owned.

1 Like

There is no such thing

Would you like to explain what you mean?

There is no such thing as a “sealed automatic transmission”

It’s a marketing term, not a real technology

I think it just means there is no dipstick and no filler tube for the dipstick. Filling requires putting it on a lift and filling through an access port by the axle. I do believe some do not have easily removable pans also but have a drain plug. So sealed mean no serviceable part to the DIYer. I guess that’s just fine with me anyway since I hate transmission work. I’ll pay the $100 while I read the paper.

But that just means it has no dipstick and/or tube

Otherwise, it’s the same as any old school automatic transmission

To call an automatic transmission that lacks a dipstick and/or tube “sealed” is silly, in my opinion

Depends on the model . . . there are lots of variations

Sounds fair to me . . . but I only subscribe to the Sunday paper, and most shops are closed that day

:smiley_cat:

Well I paid $2.50 for the Sunday paper and it took about 15 minutes to go through anything worthwhile, so here I am.

1 Like

I concentrate on the business and local sections . . . and of course the comics

I have a bud at lunch that reads the comics, he actually makes chuckling noises, easily amused I guess. Lifetime transmission fluids I have heard of, not sure what car, oh trans dead, life over.

My 2014 Camry has no dipstick for me to check transmission fluid. When I had the tranny serviced at about 30k it turns out that to drop the pan requires removing some sort of cross member ( if I recall the term used) and the time/labor involved would make the cost ridiculous. So I settled for the flush/new fluid.

I know the manual says I can go 100k before servicing the transmission and the dealer said just drive it. But the independent shop that has given excellent service for a dozen years recommended that with my “severe use” short haul, stop and go, low mileage driving I do transmission service about every 30-35k. They said they are seeing many ruined transmissions on newer cars that waited 80-100k to change the trans fluid and by then they are out of warranty.

Yup

That’s an acceptable term

On many fwd vehicles with transversely mounted powertrains, such as yours, it’s necessary to remove the crossmember if you want to drop the trans pan

You’re taking the right approach by servicing the trans every 30K :+1: