Transmission question

i got a 2001 chevy impala and i want to know can a stopped up transmission strainer stop your car from going in gear

what can i do to resolve this problem

If the filter is that plugged I would be surprised if it shifted at all!

You don’t give the mileage and how long ago the fluid and filter were changed.

Without driving it any further I would take it to a good independent (not Chain) transmission shop and have fluid and filter changed and the transmision checked for damage!

Like Doc said, a plugged trans filter is a symptom, not the problem. Something else must really be wrong to result in a plugged filter, I would think.

the mileage is 130000 and it is on a 2001 chevy impala. when the car is cold it will go in gear and as the car heats up the transmission stop pulling. when it stop pulling you can hear rattling noise like it is coming from the transmission pump.

When was the last time you had the fluid changed and the filter cleaned or replaced?

Please tell me that after 8 years and 130,000 miles you are not still driving with the original transmission fluid.

i brought the car used and i dont know if it has ever been change. i just dont want to buy a transmission if i dont have to . i just went out side and crank the car up and the veh went in gear with know problem.

In that case, get the pan dropped, the fluid changed, and the filter cleaned or replaced. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

When the transmission stops ‘pulling’ is the transmission oil scorching hot? Does the transmission oil smell acrid (like burnt transformer) and is the color black? If both of these are the case, you have been slipping enough to damage clutch friction material. If the strainer is clogged, it is clogged with shed friction material.

Yes, a stopped up filter element will cause the transmission not to function.
Well, it certainly doesnt look good but yes, check the fluid level and condition first. Second, a pan drop is in order. Fluid and filter changes should have been done every 25-30k miles on this car and it appears it hasnt. There are quite a few things which would cause the filter to stop up. Clutch friction material, steel shavings, aluminum shavings, and brass shavings mixed with the others. If there is enough to actually stop up the filter then you are in serious trouble here. I would be very curious to see what is in that pan. Also, this particular transmission has issues with the EPC (Pressure Control Solenoid) being faulty.

transman