Transmission Problems

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey with 145K miles. The transmission is acting up. It does not change gears smoothly anymore. I have had the transmission fluid change as recommended by Honda. I was hoping to get a few more years out of the car as I still need the capacity of the van. In a couple of years I was hoping to get a smaller cars as my kids can drive themselves at that time. Do I fix the transmission or do I retire the car and purchase another minivan?

Because the transmissions on Odysseys of that era are so prone to failure, Honda did give an extended warranty on them. While I suspect that the age (and the odometer mileage) of yours is probably past the limits for the extended warranty, it might be a good idea to check with Honda at the corporate level. Contact info can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

Even if they won’t give you full coverage, it is possible that they might be willing to give you partial assistance “Goodwill” coverage for this repair. This is particularly true if you can prove that the vehicle has been serviced–on schedule–by the dealership. It doesn’t hurt to ask!

If the fluid level is correct and new, and this car is oversized for you, trade it in and buy new rather than spend for a new tranny. The cost is going to be at least as much as a decent downpayment for a new car.

Here’s a good place to read about this common problem: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

It might cost more to replace the tranny than the van is worth. I’d look for an older Toyota Sienna if you really want a comparable van.

Has anyone scanned the computer for codes?? Have you had the transmission evaluated by a trans shop?? Has the transmission been regularly serviced every 25-30k miles?? Did you use genuine HONDA fluid in the trans when changing the fluid?? What exactly is the transmission doing?? It seems like you are condemning the transmission too soon. Your problem could be very simple.

transman

You’re lucky you got 145K out of it. My SECOND transmission started to fail at 89K! I have no idea what we’re going to do. Honda won’t help us out because we’re out of the time part of the extended warranty.

I’ve been on the phone twice so far with Corporate and they’re not budging. I tried the nice approach and then the disappointed approach. Not sure what to do now. Customer SErvice supervisor told me I should call my state’s attorney general!