Transmission problem

I have a 1998 Honda Civic 1.6 4cycl with about 19000+ miles. The transmission will not propel the car yet when I first start the car the transmission will move the car forward and backward a couple of times each direction. A certified honda mechanic (supposedly: on line) said it would be one of three sensors. Do you think this is correct? I lost the sheet identifying the sensors. Would anyone know which sensors he was talking about?

Automatic or manual? This is pretty basic information for a transmission question, and yet you excluded it.

If it’s an automatic, is the fluid level correct?

thanks for responding mcparadise. It’s an automatic and the fluid level is correct.

He’s probably talking about shift solenoids and the CPC (Clutch Pressure Control) solenoid, also called the “Linear” solenoid. The CPC solenoid can be removed and cleaned at the screen. To me it sounds like a pressure problem. The case could be worn where the pump gears are. With that kind of mileage, it is quite possible.

transman

thanks transman618. Actually, the mileage is 119,000. I thought I hit 1 twice.

Brokenwrench, I suggest you follow transman’s advice. He’s the expert, as far as I’m concerned.

To me, automatic transmissions fall into the category of “magic.” I haven’t the slightest clue how they work, but I’m glad they do.