Transmission Flush

My car has 19,000 miles on it and is 4 years old. Several weeks ago while I was driving, the transmission slipped into a lower gear. My son-in-law who lives in the mountains and where I was headed said the fluid was a bit low and added about 1/4 of a quart synthetic transmission fluid. It was fine for about 2 weeks and did it again while I was driving 70 mph down the freeway. I had to drive about 25 miles in 2nd gear. I took the car in Wed AM to the dealership and was told a sensor was out. But since I was honest and told “the guy” everything that happened, he said the transmission needed to be flushed or the warranty would be invalid due to the fluid my son-in-law put in. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper. What else could I do at the moment? I had it flushed to the tune of $190. I feel duped and pressured just so the dealership could make some money. Do I have any recourse? What should I do?

I really don’t think you can do much. Unless you actually find where in the warranty it says that you cannot add transmission fluid to your own car in hopes of preventing an issue and to get back home safely. You already paid the dealership I’m guessing you might just have to lay this one to bed. It happens.

If that transmission fluid that was added did not meet the specifications for your transmission, then yes, it needs a flush yesterday. If it did meet the specs and is compatible with what was in there, there is no problem.

Joseph is right.

Year/Make of car!!! What was the fluid that was added??? And don’t say transmission fluid…There are many many different kinds of ATF…and some are very manufacturer specific.