Transmission fluid change

I HAVE A 2000 CHEV ASTROVAN ALLWHEEL DRIVE

WITH AUTO TRANS. ONE SHOP SAYS ONLY CHANGE

THE FLUID, NOT NECESSARY TO FLUSH TRANS …ANOTHER SAYS FLUSH TRANS AND CHANGE FLUID, AT ADDITIONAN $100+ COST. OWNER MAN

ONLY MENTIONS CHANGE FLUID. WHO DO I BELIEVE? VAN ONLY HAS 58K MILES, AND I

WANT TO TRAVEL EAST COAST THIS SUMMER TO

VISIT MY PARRIS ISLAND WHERE I GRAD 52YRS

AGO, AND THEN UP EAST COAST TO VISIT ALL

MARINE/NAVY INSTALLATIONS AND MUSEUMS ALL

THE WAY UP TO MAINE. I’D LIKE TO KNOW THAT

I HAVE DONE THE NECESSARY TO GIVE SOME PEACH OF MIND THAT I’LL NOT HAVE TRANS

PROBLEMS. WHAT TO YOU THINK??

Anytime you hear a suggestion to do something to your car called a flush or something that is not listed in the owner’s manual, be on the look out. When it is both, run away.

I suggest that a fluid change along with the filter change (which should be a part of the fluid change, but will not generally be part of a flush) should be what you do. It is wise to have this basic service done and your timing is about right.

You are wise for reading the owner’s manual and for suspecting someone trying to sell you something not needed.

I know I am a pest about it, but ALL CAPS are difficult to read.  Using standard case and paragraph spacing makes messages much easier to read.  Making them easier to read means more people will read it and you are more likely to get a good answer.

NO FLUSH. just filter and fluid.

Yes, per the two previous, no flush - just change fluid and filter. Sometimes, a shop will suggest a flush only, because they can get 80 to 90% of the old fluid out and refill without dropping the pan - it’s easier for them. However, the flush only is not as good as the fluid and filter change. So just get the full fluid and filter change and enjoy your trip.