Transmission Code

I have a 1996 Chevrolet Lumina with over 114,000 miles. A technician diagnosed a codes 1406 and 1870. He didn’t find a problem with 1406, but 1870 still exists. the car isn’t doing anything out of the ordinary other than “Service Engine Soon” light. What should be done for 1870 to correct that code?

did you have them reset it sometimes thats all it needs and the engine light will go off…

Shutting off the light isn’t the problem - its figuring out what caused the light to come on to begin with.

1870 is “Transmission Component Slipping” - that’s not good news
1406 is about the EGR valve

I am not a transmission guy, so I can’t say much about the 1870, but I would do some general web searches looking for others with this problem. I would also ask around for a trusted local shop that specializes in transmissions. All the while I would be prepared to hear that you need a trans rebuild - though there are often other fixes which is why I would run around the web for a while looking for others who have had the same code.

Or, maybe transman will drop by and tell you something more informative.

The light did come back on. I took it too a transmission shop and they stated the transmission was overheating. Couldn’t locate the source or that code, but wanted to do $1100 worth of work. They did notice the transmission fluid is burned. I do a lot of stop and go driving all day. I don’t feel the car is worth it. Thanks "Admitted Amateur. You’re right about transman, maybe something informative may help.

Given 114K, a lot of stop & go, overheating, and burned fluid I think you’re looking at a transmission on its last legs - just a guess. What was the trans shop going to do for $1100 - because that sounds too low for a total rebuild, but too much to try to “fix” a tranny that will likely need one soon.

I personally would first decide whether I really wanted to keep the car - much of that has to do with the general condition (brakes, tires, suspension, steering, engine, etc. - is it going to become a money pit?).

If I decided to keep it, I would verify what that shop wants to do for $1100 and what kind of warranty it carries. If that estimate is short of a total rebuild, I would get an estimate on a full rebuild - whether done by them or purchased (from e.g. Jasper).

After that I would ask myself again whether or not I wanted to keep the car.

On that particular transmission, the 1870 code (Slipping) usually is due to TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) slipping. If the fluid is burned and what I usually find along with that is the converter turning blue due to the heat. The most common causes of this is a worn valve body at the TCC regulator valve, the TCC apply valve in the valve body sticking and a bad TCC PWM solenoid. Unfortunately, you are looking at an overhaul.

transman

Another shop checked the fluid and noticed that it is burned. Neglected by previous owner. I purchased with 98,000 miles one year ago and an EGR code. He is going to flush the fluid from the pan and then from the converter. He stated that it is a two step process to rid of all old fluid. He also stated if internal, a tranny shop will have to do. The work is for a rebuild with the replacement of several parts and a 3 year warranty. Can’t quote exactly what AAmco stated, but with the parts you stated in “general condition” it has begun to be a money pit. I guess I need some time out of it to save for another reliable car.

Thanks Transman618. My second opinion was similar, if not exactly, to what you stated.