Trans won't go 4th when cold? OD and Check Engine blinking?

I have a 1992 Toyota Paseo “4 speed Automatic Transmission” and last week i notice when i turn on the car in the morning the transmission won’t go to 4th when is cold it also feels out of power and sluggish, but when i let it warm up is does all the 4th gears and shift like a dream. I check the odb and the od light and check engine blinks, what does that mean? Where i’m from the deelers and autoparts can’t help scan for codes since the odb of my car is outdated. They told me it could be either the Selenoids or Speed sensor but i honestly wan’t to make sure. Thanks.

The transmission doesn’t shift into forth gear, (torque converter lock-up), until the engine approaches operating temperature.

This is so the engine warms up faster to reduce emissions.

Now if this just started happening, there may be a problem with the coolant sensor for the computer. This could be the reason for your problems.

That’s because they’re not old farts that know how to work on pre-OBDII vehicles.

Here’s how you get the codes from your OBDI Toyota.

Tester

3 Likes

Mr @Tester is correct as always… Follow his advice.

However now I am pondering exactly when chronologically Old Fartdom actually begins… I’m no Spring Chicken anymore… but I notice no flatulence… Oh no, I’m developing a new complex… Thanks Tester.

1 Like

We used to say don’t trust anyone over thirty. I’m to the point where I don’t trust myself.

1 Like

Ah, yes, OBD1. You have to admit, it was nice to be able to retrieve engine codes with a paper clip.

Not going into overdrive until warm is probably normal. I seem to remember reading in a Toyota transmission service manual (Ithink it was for the U250/251 series) that OD was locked put until the coolant temp. reached 142*F. Man I wish my memory was better.

I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

1 Like

Whatever age I am at the time minus 5.

1 Like