Trading in cars and buying either new or used

I currently have 2 cars( since my husband passed away recently). They are both 2007. One is a 2007 Dodge Caliber and the other is a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser. 1. Should I trade in both for an newer used car or new car? Probably a used 2010 or 2011 car. 2. Which is better: to trade both in or try and sell one privately?

Please accept my condolence on the loss of your husband.

Why do you think you need to get rid of both cars? If you only want one vehicle keep the one you prefer and sell the other one.

Criagslist is a good way to advertise and sell a vehicle, and it doesn’t cost anything, but your cars are not “old,” and I don’t see any reason to get rid of both of them right away, assuming you like at least one of the.

On the other hand, if you don’t want to keep either vehicle, you can trade them both for something else.

This may not be the best time to make such an expensive decision. Perhaps you should wait a bit and “do the math” before you start shopping for a new, or newer, car.

Car salespersons will take advantage of your situation and you may end up paying more than you should. Be very careful.

The biggest problem with buying a used 2010/11 vehicle is that the dealership will be asking MORE for the used car than a new 2011/12 model. Get a new, left over 2011 vehicle, they’ll be more willing to deal with you on that to make room for a new 2012 vehicle.

My condolences on your loss. I’ve been there myself and know how hard it can be.

I’d advise keeping the vehicle you prefer and selling the other or having a friend/relative/etc help in doing so. The issue with even a new car is you won’t know what’s going to go wrong at any point. On a vehicle you have presumably owned for a while, you know something of the history. Hopefully you have a reliable mechanic but if not, as long as you use the same shop regularly they’d almost certainly have records.

In my opinion, knowing what’s been done to a car and what hasn’t is as important as anything else. This is even more true when considering purchasing a used vehicle.

One exception to this may be if a dealer will guarantee IN WRITING a loaner for any service you require on a vehicle you buy and you get one under a real warranty, not an aftermarket warranty. In that case, you may be better off from an ease of mind perspective to purchase a new vehicle.

Keep in mind that you will almost always get a better price for your car selling it privately then by trading it in. The trade-in is convenient, yes, but only one vehicle can count and the other is likely purchased as a separate deal by the dealer. You may find you’re much better off selling one or both current vehicles privately then trading them in. This will depend on your personal situation, comfort level doing so and if you have anyone to assist if not.

Good luck.

thanks right now i will drive both, i will start my research. i may even post to craigslist sometime.

Sincere condolences on your loss.

2007 is pretty new. If the mileage on one of these is still low, and it’ll still meet your needs, there’s absolutely no reason to trade. Just keep the one you prefer, sell the one you don’t prefer, and use a bit of the revenue from the sale to get yours “detailed”. It’ll feel brand new and you’ll save a whole ton of money.

Heck, my car is two years older than yours and I still consider it young.

I’d keep the one that you like best and sell the other. You don’t need to be in a hurry to sell it. Make sure it is in good working order before you advertise it. If the care must pass a safety inspection or smog inspection before the new owner can register it, get the inspection certificates. There will be more interested buyers if you get the certificates and you will get much closer to your asking price.