Trade in Value

In February of this year, I had to replace the motor on my '98 toyota camry at 211,000 miles due to oil pump going out. Replacement motor had 99,000 miles on it. When I trade this car in, hopefully before the year is over, do I tell the dealership about having the motor replaced? Will it help me get more for my trade, or will it matter at all?

You’ll get peanuts for a 98 - IF - they trade for it at all.
You’ll net the most possible selling it yourself and that 1/2 time engine may be a selling point in your favor then, relative to the condition of other major points of the vehicle of course.

Agree; with a car that age, it’s irrelevant. If the car runs and looks half decent, the dealer can auction it off. You’re better off cleaning it up and selling it privately.

I have had dealers sell me a car outright for less than if I traded in my old car. The first time this happened, I had a 1965 Rambler Classic and was purchasing a 1971 Ford Maverick Grabber from a Dodge dealer back in 1973. If I traded the Rambler, he wanted $2295. If I bought the Grabber outright, he wanted $2000. Part of the deal was that I had to take the old car with me. I sold the Rambler for $250. The second time it happened was in December of 1995. We had to replace a car. I went to an established used car dealer (been in business since the 1920’s) and found a 1993 Oldmobile 88 with 14,000 miles. When we decided to buy the car, the dealer wanted $14,500 with my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4-4-2 or $14,200 if I bought the 1993 Oldsmobile outright. Dealers don’t want old cars. BTW, I still have the 1978 4-4-2. It runs, but I need to patch the floor pans. I tried to give the car away, but it came back. My wife wishes I would havde spent the extra $300 back in 1995 to get rid of the car.

“I tried to give the car away, but it came back.”

I’ll take it! Haha.

I agree with selling it privately and negotiating with cash. The absolute key to getting much for an older car, as everyone has eluded to, is the condition of the body. If it’s solid with no apparent rust and runs decently, you can get a fair price regardless of age,motor change and make, selling it privately. So, do what you can to make it look as good as you can if it runs well now.

If you don’t wish to mess with private selling or don’t have the time nor means, at least see what the dealer might offer to take it off your hands.

Too many dealers keep it a secret that your ‘trade-in’ is going right back out the west side of the lot before it even gets cold. They’re not going to re-sell it on their lot or even spend a second preping it. They wholesale it.

Tell them you know this and that’s the deal you’re expecting anyway.

At my Ford dealer you will often see the wholesalers right here in our showroom. They’ve been called by the sales manager or salesman and come right down. Customer, sales person, and wholesaler walk out to the ‘trade in’ and make an offer on the spot.