Toyota Long Life Coolant/equivalent?

Thanks for your replies.

I am looking for coolant spec for 1999 Toyota Camry. Owner’s Manual says to use “Toyota Long Life Coolant” equivalent. The coolant mixture must contain ethylene-glycol anti-freeze.

I chat with autozone tech(Chat Rep). He suggest to use http://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-radiator-additives-and-windshield-wash-fluid/antifreeze/prestone-50-50-dex-cool-antifreeze-and-coolant/672816_0_0/

I find some folks compalim that DEX-COOL cause radiator leaks on Camry’s.(google search). DEX-COOL container says it is for GM spec.

What is the “Toyota Long Life Coolant” equivalent work for you?

What is the spec for “Toyota Long Life Coolant” equivalent ?

Thanks for sharing.

Can we just ignore this clown?

I chat with autozone tech

No such thing as a “Tech” at an AutoZone. I thought everybody knew that.

Zerex asian formula.

Peak also meets the specs for Japanese cars, but some models require an additive that you get from the dealer. <y personal opinion, any longlife antifreeze will work, including the new long life propylene glycols. Just drain both the radiator and the block first, no flushing required.

@RIMDToyota‌

I’m in agreement with @MikeInNH‌

In fact, I’ll go one step further and provide you will all the information you need

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_Asian_Vehicle_AFC_Technical_Bulletin.pdf

I’ll word this as politely as I can . . . go buy that zerex asian vehicle coolant, and don’t bother us with another coolant question about your Camry. The question has been answered

O’Reilly and Napa have this stuff in stock, at least in my neighborhood. Get going! You could already be there

Or go to a Toyota dealer and get the antifreeze from them, it costs about the same, but you will have more piece of mind and that has value too.

How about if nobody else responds to OP . . . until he posts back himself, telling us what coolant he used, and that it worked

Just an idea

Or go to a Toyota dealer and get the antifreeze from them, it costs about the same, but you will have more piece of mind and that has value too.

You have a different Toyota dealer then I do. I can get the Zerex for about $17. Local Toyota dealer - $37.5

Volvo, if anybody’s post should be ignored, it’s yours. The OP is politely asking for help. You’re just being nasty. Don’t do that.

To the OP, do not use dex-cool. Even many people who use dex-cool purge their systems and use something else.

I recommend simply paying the xtra bucks and using the coolant from the Toyota dealer. Buy it unmixed (it’ll save money) and mix it 50/50 with distilled water (about $1 at eth grocery store).

Alternately, you could take a cell-phone photo of the Toyota label w/contents from the dealer parts store and find a coolant at the chain store with the same contents.

guessthe millions that use the universal coolant are doomed

No, they’re not doomed. In fact chances are they will probably be fine, never experiencing a cooling system problem related to the choice of coolant.

Problem is that’s not good enough for me. I don’t want to use a coolant that means the chances are it will probably be fine. People don’t pay me to probably chances are fix their cars. They pay me to fix it right. I still see no reason to not use the correct factory approved coolants, oils, trans fluid, etc., in a car.

Well stated, ase. I agree.

Thanks for your suggestions. I went to the auto repair shop today. They are saying, even though Toyota Long life coolant spec says 150K, 5 years, we need to change coolant for every 50 K. The coolant will not extend upto 5 years/150K as spec says. He says any aftermarket coolant work forToyota (No DEX-COOL), but we need to change for every 50K.

Is he steering me in right direction?

Thanks for sharing.

@RIMDToyota Yes, my Toyota manual says to change the Toyota original coolant at 8 Years, but afterwards change it every 4 years. So 50,000 miles is OK, and I would not let it go longer.

I would just make sure it is the Super Long Life Toyota coolant, which has a lot more anti-corrosion additives and water pump lubricant in it.

You can go 150k miles as long as you don’t go over the 5 years. This is one case where time is far more important than miles. The only affect miles have is that more miles means more engine operating time which means more time at elevated temperatures. Corrosion is more active at higher temperatures, but it is active at all normal temperatures, winter and summer.