Toyota highlander vs subaru ascent..any advice?

@bcohen2010 This is your final notice - Your Luddite Membership is about to expire :wink:

1 Like

A close friend with an early CVT Outback had a low miles (but past warranty) transmission fail requiring full replacement on his dime. Later he heard Subaru had extended the
CVT coverage for his model but he’d traded by then and found it too difficult to get a refund. It’s my understanding Subaru initially had trouble with the CVT but don’t know about now. Same with 4cyl. head gaskets.

This reminds me of a warning that we see often on this site: “be weary of the first year or two after a model undergoes a redesign”. I don’t believe we’ve seen a large number posts with Subaru CVT difficulties with more recent models…like I said before, outside of Jeep and Nissan, a CVT by itself would not turn me off of a particular model (and particularly Toyota hybrids…I’m not 100% sure, but I think the Prius has used CVTs for at least a decade now, and you don’t typically see Priuses (Prii?) scrapped because of a bad transmission)

1 Like

just FYI - Prii use eCVT, which is not a CVT at all, it is an electronic simulation of it with two electric motors-generators and gas engine in between

Other than the term CVT, which describes overall function and not design, the metal belt mechanical type CVT used by most cars and the electric motor type CVT of Prius are nothing alike. Probably best to do a search on each kind, both are interesting.

I didn’t realize that…I’ll read up

see above :slight_smile: I’ll read up on them. The way they function are interesting.

I did test drive a Jeep Compass a few years ago, I wasn’t impressed with the CVT (or the car in general), the Outback (I want to say it was a 14 or 15) that we test drove was nice, didn’t notice any transmission issues during test drive. We went a different route as the price wasn’t right, but it was a nice Outback.