Toyota Highlander Airbags Didn't Deploy

I know most of you hate me for always disagreeing, but that was more the case with the stronger 1st generation airbags. Thanks to the IIHS and the push to get a good rating on the moderate overlap 40 MPH test, airbags and seat belts have become weaker to prevent bumps and bruises. Now a 50 MPH crash can bottom out the restraint system and become a fatal crash. Eliminating bumps and bruises on the 40 MPH crash increases injuries in higher speed crashes.

Not the disagreeing , but that you seem to think you know more than the people who design the safety systems to cover as many situations as possible .

4 Likes

Glad I survived a 45 mph head on crash in my 72 nova, sprained finger, bruised knee and scrape on my forehead from where I broke the windsheild. Unlicensed driver turned left while going through a green light, No officer light was green I turn left and he hit me!

1 Like

I don’t question their abilities, I question the honesty of a corporation that I believe wants to make money more than making safe cars. So they design to the minimum safety requirement.

You didn’t survive a 45 MPH head on crash. You survived a crash where you were going 45 MPH initially and you reduced speed somewhat before hitting a another vehicle that was coming at you at no more than 15 MPH on a turn. Figure you were going 35 at impact, they were going 15, that’s 50 total, half of that is 25. You survived a head on crash at no more than 25 MPH.

aren’t you glad he was there and seen everything exactly how it happened?

2 Likes

Like you were there and telling me it was a 25mph crash, sorry dude I was going 45 mph and sure the guy was only 5 or 10 mph but I have to support all the others that have told you your eyes are brown because you are so full of it!

5 Likes

45 + 5 = 50
half of 50 is 25. Equivalent to a 25 MPH head on crash.

I realize that not everyone is inclined to understand physics. They even had to do a Myth Busters episode to prove that you could hold a piece of paper in between two cars that crash in to each other at the same speed and the paper would not move. It’s obvious to me but not everyone I guess.

What is the the new math you will have to explain to me how a 45mph vehicle only has a 25mph impact. :frowning:

1 Like

If you are going 45 MPH and you hit a solid wall, it is a 45 MPH crash. If you are going 45 MPH and you hit a parked vehicle that is the same model as yours, it is equivalent to a 22.5 MPH crash. At the end of the crash, you slowed down from 45 MPH to 22.5 MPH (which is a speed reduction of 22.5 MPH), and the car that you hit is now moving 22.5 MPH in your same direction. The crash is finished and both cars will slide to a stop within a few seconds.

Your “head on crash” was more like hitting a parked car than a head on crash of equal speeds.

you still hit the car at 45 mph at the time of impact.

2 Likes

You are one of multitudes that believe if it is on the TV or interweb :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes:s it s true.

1 Like

A Nascar doing 150 MPH could rear end a Nascar doing 145 MPH and it wouldn’t be fair to call it a 150 MPH crash.

thats because they are going in the same direction. most accidents you are not.

3 Likes

So when a guy rear ended my wifes car at 40 mph while stopped at a light, why did the other insurance company use your logic and claim it was only a 20 mph impact, and would not have caused that kind of damage.

He says, with nothing to back it up, except an apparent complete misunderstanding of how these systems work.

4 Likes

Agree he is very good at spreading it also.

2 Likes

Did you mean to write why didn’t they? Anyway, why they did is because it’s mostly true I suppose. The front end of a vehicle is significantly stronger than the rear, so the rear end is going to be smashed up a lot more, and the at fault vehicle is going to be less smashed in. Given the difference in strength, the 40 MPH rear ending would be somewhat like backing your wife’s car in to a wall at 25 to 30 MPH. That will do a lot of damage.

I guess the your estimate of a 25mph crash explains why the shift lever on the tree normally maybe 2:00 was pointed directly at the floor. I have tried not to jump on you in your follies. This ends my courtesy.

5 Likes

Because the engine got pushed back and the transmission linkage was pulled out? It didn’t take much to smash up those old body on frame cars that lacked any crumple zones. I just looked at the 1980 Honda Civic 35 MPH crash in to a wall. It pushed the steering wheel in about 9 inches. That’s not even an overlap crash!