Toyota got caught

Toyota got caught by the Justices Department for screwing Blacks and Asians on car loans. Amazing, I wonder how Japanese feel about getting screwed by their own. What a disgrace Toyota is to the Japanese race.

The agencies didn't find that Toyota Motor Credit discriminated directly, but rather that the automaker's dealerships increased interest rates more for black and Asian borrowers than for whites.

In other news, car salespeople are sometimes scummy. Stop the presses!

I’ve always thought of “Japanese” as being a nationality more so than a race.

^Apparently, you can be “racist” against nationalities, occupations, etc. Kids these days!

Race ? nationality ? ethnicity ? It’s all being lost in the mix and we are finding that no one is ALL of anything any more so why even bother.
You’ll find a slant or predjuice to almost everyone in some form or other , whether it be as blatant as skin color or more subtle like a class preference . . say if the loan officer was giving prefered rates to all the GOLFERS, the doctors, the musicians, the bikers, . .you name it , the human animal seems to want to segment with their own kind . .whatever that may be.

Back when my kids were filling out forms at school and the race chart said ‘‘check one box’’ . .I REFUSED and made an issue out of it. I may be as white as they come but I AM in fact offended by that insistance to only check one box.
Now with this set of kids I don’t see that wording anymore and proudly check the correct TWO boxes.

( this ought to stir the pot )

+1 to Shadow’s post.

Yes well, this is how it works: Insurance rates. loan rates, etc. are based on a person’s risk which is indicated by their credit score or rating. Read the contract. If you don’t like the rate go somewhere else. I’m Nordic and don’t deal with the bank anymore because their rates are too high. How basic does it have to get? They teach things like this in high school. When are we going to get beyond this?

In other words if they can screw you, they will!

Hey, I paid MORE on my car insurance as a teen per my gender; told "it’s not discrimination if there is a legitimate, calculable risk difference between the two genders."

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, IMHO.

If I need a car loan, I use my credit union. Unlike banks and car dealers, they haven’t tried to screw me yet, and it’s been 20 plus years.

But, if it’s true that Toyota dealers did this, then it’s Toyota’s problem, too. Those dealers are contract representatives of Toyota, and what they did is unacceptable.

I just borrowed the money from myself when I bought my last car, and my last motorcycle. I didn’t even demand full coverage insurance from myself on the bike as a condition for loaning the money to myself.

Funny, I’ve Never Had Anybody Ever Force Me To Take Out A Loan. Caveat Emptor.
P. T. Barnum Had It Figured Out, Too.
CSA

speaking of checking boxes . . .

I check “other” :naughty:

In defense of the dealers there may be obvious reasons to them why the interest rate is higher.
It’s for the same reason that so many of those payday type loan companies exist and why the interest rates are exorbitant; on average anyway, the clientele is more at risk for defaulting on what is owed.

Vehicle insurance companies have been discriminating for years but I don’t see anyone slamming them. Why should anyone ever have to get a quote to buy any service?

Vehicle insurance companies have been discriminating for years but I don't see anyone slamming them. Why should anyone ever have to get a quote to buy any service?

Getting a quote for service is pretty much standard in the service industry. I usually get multiple quotes when I get work done on my house…or my yard. People get here get multiple quotes for mechanical work. Auto insurance is no different.

Race ? nationality ? ethnicity ? It's all being lost in the mix and we are finding that no one is ALL of anything any more so why even bother.

Unfortunately there are a great number of people who don’t feel that way. I know a few. Far less then there were 40+ years ago…but not as few as there should be.

“Getting a quote for service is pretty much standard in the service industry. I usually get multiple quotes when I get work done on my house…or my yard. People get here get multiple quotes for mechanical work. Auto insurance is no different.”

Sorry Mike but I beg to differ. The insurance business is the only business that uses age, where you live and other personal factors to determine the price you pay. It’s illegal to use discrimination to price out a job for work on your house, yard or any vehicle. You are clearly wrong in your thinking.

Sorry Mike but I beg to differ. The insurance business is the only business that uses age, where you live and other personal factors to determine the price you pay.

Oh if only that were true. Plumbers/electricians/building contractors all give different quotes to different people depending many different factors including economic status and where you live. It’s done all the time…people complain about it…but it’s extremely difficult to prove. My neighbor is a licensed electrician in NH and MA. After our December ice storm a few years ago where thousands lost power for weeks…he had many jobs wiring up generators. In rich areas like Andover MA he charges double then poor communities like Lawrence MA…WHY?? Because he can.

Vehicle insurance companies have been discriminating for years but I don't see anyone slamming them. Why should anyone ever have to get a quote to buy any service?

One point your missing is that while yes insurance companies use factors like age and gender to determine insurance rates…the quotes you get from different insurance companies all use the same factors. It’s not like one company has higher rates for women…and another for men. They all use the same actuary tables. In fact most use common software. The different rate quotes you get have NOTHING to do with one company discriminating and another NOT. They’re all on the same playing field.

As for complaints…people have been complaining about it for decades.