Toyota Corolla ECM Recall -- replace or take chances?

Having the recall work done sooner than later makes sense.

Agree. OK, now does anyone know the difference in The Japanese made car vs American? And Denso (Japanese) vs. Delco/Delphi(NUMM/TMMC)? And which is the good one? I think whatever is there is what you have to replace it with.

The EMC will be replaced with one made by whomever Toyota recently selected as the supplier for this component. You will not have a choice regarding the supplier.

Incidentally, the reliability of Corollas and Prizms made in CA proved to be identical to that of Corollas made in Japan, so your fears regarding Delco/Delphi quality are essentially unfounded.

@Flamingo Cooper RELAX!!! The dealers have to follow an exact procedure to replace the ECM. They are better qualified than anyone else to do this. If, in the very unlikely event, they screw up, just take the car back. Unlike other repairs, this is TOYOTA FACTIORY issue, and the full weight is behind Toyota dealers to do this right. As well, a recall has federal government force behind it.

I once knew a guy who was a white knuckle flier; he did not trust the pilot!!! I assured him that the pilot not only knew his stuff, but he also valued his own life so he would operate the plane safely.

When you take the car in, just leave afterward; don’t sit in the lobby drinking Toyota’s excellent coffee and getting all worked up.

Things to worry about are pet food from China (a lot of it contaminated), cheap condoms, financial advice from the internet, anything from Nigeria on your computer.

OK, I think I have some of it… Corollas made in the Cambridge, Ontario TMMC plant (2T in VIN) or the Fremont, California NUMMI plant (1N in VIN) both have the Delco/Delphi ECM which mine has, I’ve looked at a picture of each and compared to mine, then the Japanese VINs start with J (Denso ECM).

“Things to worry about are pet food from China (a lot of it contaminated), cheap condoms, financial advice from the internet, anything from Nigeria on your computer.”

+1 !

Just this week, I received a scam-type e-mail, which may or may not have come from Nigeria, but regardless of where it originated, I decided to play with the sender a bit.

The sender, “Michele Richards”, asked me for a loan of $2,800, so that her cousin in Ukraine could get a kidney transplant. I was informed that, “instructions for money transfer will follow”. Needless to say, I do not know anybody by that name.

However, I did reply, and told, “Michele”, that I would be glad to loan her the money upon receipt of the following:
A copy of her Social Security Card
A copy of her passport
A copy of her driver’s license
Copies of two current utility bills
A voided check from her US-based checking account
Copies of two of her credit cards
Her high school & college transcripts
A completed loan application, with her signature witnessed & notarized

And, as soon as I fired-off my response, I blocked both the e-mail address of “Michele Richards”, as well as its domain.