Toyota Camry Defroster and Ignition Problem

We have a 2003 Toyota Camry LE. Recently, we have found that the engine goes off whenever we turn the defroster on. This happened while I was driving and the car stalled in the middle of the road, but I was able to restart it. This has happened a couple of times and we have not used the defroster since. What may be the problem?

Thanks.

Sagar

Does it stumble before quitting …and is it always immediately upon flipping the switch to DEFROST? See if it also occurs when switching to an AC mode.

It stumbles a little and it is always immediately upon flipping the switch to DEFROST. I will check if it occurs when switching to an AC mode this evening.

Thanks. Any info will be appreciated.

Check all grounds. The one from engine to body could be important. If body end is rusted, remove and scrape. Install before starting engine. The ignition switch may be fried. It’s just as likely to happen as any short circuit.

So I took the car to a Toyota dealer. Apparently, the ac compressor is damaged and needs to be replaced (at a cost of $900). Do you think they are right? By the way when I switch to defroster (and AC) and quickly switch it back (i.e., no defroster), the engine throttles as if it is trying to shift the gear but does not stall. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sagar