Towing

I own a 04 Toyota Tundra with a 4.7

It came with a tow package can tow

7000 lbs. Now the question is I am thinking of buying a Camper but don’t want to kill my truck. so what is the best max weight limit. I will only tow 6 to 10 times a year 200 miles or less one way.

The camper I am looking at is about 5600LBS

with no cargo. What do you think.

Littleman

The tow package is good for 7000 lbs. Why do you think a 5600 lbs load will kill it? The tow package has done all the modifications to safely tow 7000 lbs without killing the truck. Just be sure to follow the instructions in the owner’s manual when towing a large load. My truck recommends deactivating the overdrive when towing more than 3500 lbs.

5600, empty. Weight adds up quickly when planning a weekend getaway.

True, but the truck was designed to safely and reliably haul 7000. That leaves 1,400 lbs. Almost 3/4 of a ton!! Of gear!! Dude!!

Beer is heavy. :wink:

Empty weight is insignificant. What is the trailer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)? As long as it is less than 7,000 lbs., you should be fine, but I would prefer a trailer with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs. or less.

Empty weight doesn’t include water in the tanks, full propane tanks, luggage, food in the fridge and cabinets, camping gear, etc. These are all things you will need for you trips.

Your truck can handle this load. To preserve the truck, don’t speed when towing and don’t start up like you are on a drag strip. Then change your fluids, especially trans and differential fluids more frequently, as in following the severe service maintenance schedule.

My sister had no isses with her similar Tundra and loaded to 7000+ lbs with trailer/horses/some related stuff. Horses are a much tougher load due to the dynamic load of the(1500/lbs each) moving about.

If this is an auto transmission w/ a tow package one part of that package is probably an auxiliary transmission cooler. I would check that out and think about either adding even more cooling capacity or maybe swapping out whatever Toyota did for something that does more.

One can say that Toyota has done what is required but I don’t actually trust manufacturer’s recommendations/judgments regarding taking care of transmissions.

Toyota’s towing package comes with an auxiliary transmission cooler. The Tundra with the manual transmission can only tow 5000lbs (class III).

If you were towing 20 times a year or more…or your trips were 500 miles or more then I’d say stay under 6000lbs…but 6-10 times a year isn’t going to tax the truck that’s rated at 7000lbs. You shouldn’t have any problems.

“What is the trailer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)?”

Like Whitey, I need to know the answer to this question before I can answer the OP. Littleman, everyone who says it’s okay without knowing the GVWR is making an uneducated guess.

Right. I’ll bet it does (which is what I said). But I’ll also bet that its wimpier than I would want it to be. The same people who decided what should be in there are probably the same people that write manuals claiming silly things like “lifetime” transmission fluid or insanely long transmission service intervals. If towing kills something major its most likely to be the transmission.

7000 lbs did not make my sister’s Tundra even flinch.

I have the towing package for my 4runner…and the auxiliary transmission cooler is pretty significant. It’s the same size as the radiator. These vehicles also come with a Transmission temp warning light.

And I agree with you 100% about the lifetime tranny fluid. My 4 runner as 170k miles on it and I’ve already changed the lifetime fluid 4 times.