Towing with a prius

@CDbear,

I hope you never need to make a warranty claim for your Prius. You’ve likely voided any warranty you had left, even if it’s an extended warranty.

@CDBear, I think we are talking about two differnt things. Your’s is a light utility trailer ? I have one and it weighs in at 250lbs. I agree, it may tow it with some trash or a couple hundred pound load so I hear where you are coming from.

But, if you tow 1200 to 2000 lbs much with a Prius though, as indicated by OP, you had better prepare for at some time, having your Prius towed in return. It’s much about terrain, frequency and speed and the conservative tow ratings you see with fwd cars or no rating for a Prius , usually means the darn thing is too weak and unsafe towing much weight, very fast, very often and up and down hills and mountains.

You want to see what the legitimate tow rating might be on your car ? Stop on a steep hill with your tow load and see how easily from a dead stop you can start up again.

I agree. A Prius would spend a lot more time being towed then it would towing something.

My concern is the capacity of the Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT).