Towing with a 2003 BMW X3 3L

I just towed my new 3000 pound fiberglass travel trailer (a Casita with 300 pound tongue weight). I experienced extremely poor acceleration and frequent shifting between 4th and 5th gear…even on roads with almost no incline. I’m planning a trip across the mountains this Fall. Should I reconsider use of this vehicle for towing purposes? I don’t want to ruin a perfectly nice SUV. By the way, the transmission is an automatic 5 speed (no overdrive). Would it be better for me to shift manually? Any advice appreciated!

Sounds like leaving it in 4th might be a good option. Does the car have a towing packege, ie trans cooler etc.?

I had no success looking up the tow rating for this vehicle, but it certainly sounds like you’re pushing the limit. What’s your owners’ manual say?

I just towed my new 3000 pound fiberglass travel trailer (a Casita with 300 pound tongue weight). I experienced extremely poor acceleration and frequent shifting between 4th and 5th gear

No kidding? You’ve almost doubled the rolling weight traveling down the road and are using a car that isn’t really designed for towing.

What is your previous experience towing a trailer and what were your expectations for loss of power, handling, and braking when you decided to tow this trailer?

It’s one thing to tow a trailer up the mountains without burning up a transmission or engine. It’s entirely another to safely steer and brake the combo down the other side.

I would be using a half-ton pickup or a larger SUV for this chore.

Fifth gear is your overdrive. If you want better acceleration on the highway, downshifting to 4th or 3rd will do it. Just make sure you don’t downshift too far and over-rev the engine. You need to learn the speed range for each gear so that you won’t over stress the engine when downshifting. I would start moving in automatic mode and only use the manual shift mode when cruising and when required.

I had no success looking up the tow rating for this vehicle, but it certainly sounds like you’re pushing the limit. What’s your owners’ manual say?

I have found tow ratings to be quite optimistic. The vehicle may be able to tow up to the rated capacity, but how safe is it to tow something when you can’t keep up with the speed limit or present a safety hazard to other cars?

A5s-390r trans is actually a GM 5L40E. 4th is 1.00 and 5th is 0.75. If u tow in 5th, parts are turning slower and less heat is generated. But ur motor might not like the conditions of speed/torque demands based on conditions. And yes the torque converter locks up in both 4th and 5th gear.

Many vehicles designed for towing either have a ‘tow’ button on the shifter that locks out overdrive, or state in the manual to not use overdrive (5th gear in this case). As for towing in mountains, given the problems you’ve already had, I wouldn’t do it. Too much $$ at stake.

As so many others have asked, what does your manual say?

From what I’m finding from a couple tow ratings databases the max tow capacity for this vehicle is 6,000lbs. But that was for one fresh off the showroom floor. This one might be a little down on power compared to when it was new.

You sure that wasn’t for a diesel X3?

6000 pounds for a BMW X3? For a mid-size SUV with a 2.5 or 3.0 liter engine? Nahhh, really?

3500# when properly equipped.

Edmumds and Cars.com lists the towing capacity at 3,500 lbs. That I can believe.

But towing at capacity in the mountains? No way I’d do it.

Towing at capacity.
Veenstra…
STOPPING is the biggest caveat here…I KNOW !!!
Been there, done that.
If it wasn’t at 2am …there WOULD have been a crash !
Want to know more, I’ll be glad to tell the whole story.
BUT
otherwise, just believe me when I warn you about BRAKE FADE.

Scary !

This is right at the limit. Tow in 4th gear. Do fluid changes on the transmission and differentials based on “extreme” conditions. You might want to price a transmission replacement. If you tow frequently or a lot of miles that tranny will take a lot of stress and might fail.

I agree with the other comments and I will add mine: You are using the wrong vehicle to tow a 3,000 pound travel trailer.