Towing vehicles

@db4690‌
A Tacoma is tow rated for 6500 lbs. with tow package and I routinely pull medium boats to 5k lbs with one as I did my previous 4Runner rated a little less, with ease. A Tacoma or new Colorado 7k rated, or Nissan compact are the cheapest way to go to get to 5000 tow weights safely. Any six cylinder full size PU or smallest v8 would do well too. The Tacoma with a 127 inch WB is now bigger then standard Chevy and F150 base trucks. They can do it. Truck length is important for stable towing. And everything is bigger now and there are a ton of used full size base trucks that could do the job…but OP doesn’t seem to like trucks.

The following copied from Tacomaworld forum.

Gen 2 Tacoma (2005-2008)

Gen 2 trucks come with two engine options.

The 2.7L I4 (Standard in all regular and access-cab trucks regardless of drive train, not available in the X-runner or double cab trucks)
159 hp @ 5,200 rpm
180 lb.-ft. @ 3,800 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 350 lbs.

The 4.0L V6 (Standard on the X-runner, and double cab trucks, and available in Pre-runner and 4x4 Access-cab trucks)
236 hp @ 5,200 rpm
266 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 6,500 lbs. (*except X-runner 3,500 lbs.)
Max. Tongue weight 650 lbs. (*except X-runner 350 lbs.)

The Gen 2 trucks are available with a factory “towing package” on V6 models only.

This “towing package” consists of a class IV receiver hitch, supplemental engine oil cooler, transmission cooler (again automatic transmission only), Heavy-Duty battery, 130 amp alternator, fully functional 7-way round plug, and a plug and play brake controller pigtail.

A 2012 or newer Ford Explorer will tow up to 5000# when properly equipped. You might also consider a 2012 Honda Ridgeline. While it has a pickup bed, and a crew cab. The extra row of seating might make up for not having an SUV body. It also tows 5000#.

It’s not that I don’t like trucks, I am considering the annoyance factor of not having easy access to stored stuff I might need, I’m thinking of the tow vehicle as a large storage closet for tools, bulk foods, clothes, camping equipment and so on. I am going to be living in the camper full time, perhaps for years so access to stored items is important, I am not a big or young person so having to haul tubs of stuff in and out to find something in the rear would be a major pain. The camper itself, loaded, is not going to be more than 3000 lbs. So anything that can tow 5000 lbs. will be sufficient. All your input is helpful, I don’t know anything about towing so thanks. The Ford Explorer might work if I took out the back seats.
What does OP mean in reference to me?

OP = original poster.

Nancy K I think you are looking at this wrong. You know nothing about towing so you should really talk to a camping trailer place to determine how much trailer you need. Then match the tow vehicle to the trailer. I would also suggest looking for some training for towing and backing.

If you buy a small trailer, you may grow tired of it. Having a truck that tows more will allow you to grow without having to sell both the truck and trailer at the same time. A half ton van, like a Chevrolet Express, will tow 6000#;a 3/4 ton van will tow up to 9800#. Because full size vans are unpopular, the sell used for less than comparable pickup trucks or SUVs. They also have a huge cargo area that is much easier to move around in than any SUV. In my area, all the 1500, 2500 and 3500 vans are less than $30,000, including used 2013s.