hey now…

i just got through changing the timing belt on my DAEWOO.

it is an amazing car. it rides nicer than an impala, goes 100 without batting an eyelash, and is quieter than any other car we looked at in 2000. (actually it is still pretty quiet, except for the knocking in the front end on bumps)

the only down fall is the near uncertainty of not knowing if/when it is going to just die (given daewoos stellar reputation!)

by the way my car has a 120 mph speedo, and does have the stupid circle on the dial.

and did you ever notice how the 55 is usually straight up in the “12 oclock” position?

However, NH didn’t have a problem giving out speeding tickets to people with MA plates back then. I lived in MA at the time and drove to the ski areas most winter weekends, I collected plenty on speeding tickets in NH. When I moved to NH, I never got another NH ticket, funny how that works. (-;

My '92 jeep still had a 85 mph speedo, I guess some companies just kept it after is was no longer required. Of course, exceeding 85 in a jeep is scary anyway.

My old Buick Century had this tiny little rectangular 85MPH speedometer. I figured out with a stopwatch one time that when the needle goes down into the dashboard, it was about 100mph and when the back end came out the other side it was about 120. I was young.

Yup…and MA does the same to us Newhampshireites…I was getting on to rt 6 in the cape one year…I was pulling my camping trailer and had just got on rt 6…Got pulled over at a speed trap…Cop said I was doing 80…I couldn’t go 80 pulling the trailer…In fact I was doing about 40. They had about 10 cars pulled over…all from out of NH or VT. Who’s going to drive 6 hours round trip to contest it??

Well Jeff, you must be fairly young, and didn’t live through the '74 Oil Embargo/Energy Crisis/Fuel Shortage like us grizzled veterans (OK, OK, I was just taking Driver’s Ed then!). Oil went up to the horrendous price of $12 a barrel! Premium gas soared to 70 cents a gallon! Anyway, it was reported that trucks did their best mileage at 50, and cars did best at 60, so they split the difference and came up with the “double nickel”. 10-4 good buddy, you got your ears on? Put the hammer down, we got us a convoy!

I have had success contesting by mail although OR. Supposedly clocked going 120 MPH in a mid 80’s Sentra on a flat road. Thankfully wrote series of letters included attachments including statement from Nissan(friends dad head designer at Infinity at time) that top speed of car was around 100 MPH beyond Car & Driver mags published speed.

Took a few months and they reduced fine finally to throwing it out.

Those 85 mph speedos never bothered me, they were actually easier to read when it was important to know exactly how fast you were going, and they didn’t prevent your car from going faster than 85.
My motorcycle has a 180 mph speedo and the numbers are so close together that it’s hard to distinguish between 70 and 75 mph. The speedo is a bit optimistic anyway so I have to go an indicated 75 mph in order to go a true 70 mph.

“goes 100 without batting an eyelash, and is quieter than any other car we looked at in 2000. (actually it is still pretty quiet, except for the knocking in the front end on bumps)”

Cappy–I sure hope that your life insurance is paid up! Going 100 mph in an 8 yr. old Daewoo is scary to begin with, but doing that in one with a potentially bad front end is…