Too much play in the e-brake

For me, putting this spring was the hardest part of the job, as it keeps slipping. Due to the tension of the spring, I couldn’t get the gap for vice grip pliers to hold the spring. Instead, I used the cutter part of the pliers to hold the spring while i attached the spring back. Anyways, i am glad that job is done

It’s good that method worked out ok for you, but for others reading this thread, holding onto a spring with the hardened steel edges of cutters could nick the cable and cause it to break under load.

I had to do this same job last month on my Corolla, and indeed installing the e-brake cable into the e-brake lever slot is a little frustrating. What worked best for me was a very small vice grip style needle-nose pliers (about the size of a pair of elementary school scissors), and using the two jaws to push the spring up the cable about 3 inches, then clamping the cable with the end of the jaws to hold it fast, which left be both hands free to insert the cable into the slot in the screw. I think an even better tool might be a small hemostat clamp. If I ever have to do it again, I’ll try that. Another thing, the order you do it is important: installing the E-brake cable into the slot first, then afterward installing the spring that holds the e-brake lever and adjuster gadget to the shoe is helpful.