Too much oil

I HAD AN OIL CHANGE ON MY NISSAN QUEST, SAME DAY - CHECK ANGINE LIGHT CAME ON SO I TOOK THE QUEST TO THE DEALERSHIP WHERE I BOUGHT IT. AFTER CHECKING THE VAN I WAS TOLD THAT WHEN THE OIL WAS CHANGED THE MECHANIC PUT 8 QUARTS OF OIL, WHCIH FLODED THE ANGINE. THE DEALERSHIP FLUSHED THE ANGINGE, BUT THE CHECK ANGINE LINE WAS STILL ON AFTER FURTHER INVESTIGATION IT WAS DETERMINED THAT BECAUSE OF THE OIL FLUDDING THE ANGINE THE TIMING BELT AND SPROCKETS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS? PLEASE HELP!

C’MON SOMEONW HAS TO KNWO THE ANSWER.

Too much oil can damage an engine. It can get foamed up and the pump can’t pump foam so the engine is oil starved.

I suggest finding a trusted local mechanic and avoiding the dealer, except for warranty covered items.

I also suggest that you turn off the ALL CAPS. They are difficult for most people to read so many will just not bother.

Your car developed angina from too much oil? No, I haven’t heard of that problem.
;-))

Seriously, however, there are all sorts of bad things that can happen from too much oil in an engine, even if I never previously heard of the problem that you described. Remember that the timing belt, although encased in a cover, is actually external to the engine. Therefore it is difficult to understand how too much oil could have affected it.

But, there are two possibilities as I see it.

It is possible that the technician (I hesitate to use that term in this case) spilled a lot of oil when filling the engine, and that some of the spilled oil penetrated the timing belt cover.
The extreme amount of oil that flooded the engine may have caused unusually high oil pressure, which led to a leak in a seal or gasket adjacent to the area where the timing belt is located.

Were you told that there is a need to replace a seal or a gasket? I would suggest that you ask for more details. I would also suggest that you have the dealership document what they found, so that you can go after the shop that changed your oil. Was this a quick lube place by any chance?

Also–it is possible that the ham-handed person who did the oil change drained the transmission, rather than the crankcase. Have you checked the level of the trans fluid? I suggest that you have the dealership do this also, as it is possible that this mistake damaged both the transmission and the engine.

Good luck!
Let us know what the dealership tells you regarding seals/gaskets, and the level of the trans fluid.

Turn your caps off.

If the CEL is on, there is a code stored in the computer. What is the code??

The dealer screwed up so whatever needs to be replaced/repaired should be done at their expense. If they give you a hard time, call Nissan and give them the details. If they fail to help, file a complaint with your state’s consumer protection bureau. Hold their feet to the fire and threaten to sue. In addition, they should provide you with a loaner until they repair yours.

Good luck to you.

Read the original post again. Yes, I know that it is difficult to interpret much of it, but my interpretation is that the oil change was done at an establishment other than the dealership, and that the OP took the vehicle to the dealership once the CEL lit up.

Carb123–Can you clarify this point for us (in mostly lower-case type)?

And check your transmission fluid level The oil change shop may have drained the transmission by mistake.

And definitely the code that turned on the CEL on is possibly a key clue to the problem.

AND, it is difficult to read ALL CAPS.

Then the oil change shop is responsible.

Timing belt on a Nissan? Every Nissan I’ve had/seen had a chain.