Too bumpy on bad back! Shocks?

2001 base XL model smallest engine
Replaced shocks a year ago = some improvement
but going to/from chiropractor - the ONLY cure in town for a bad back after a fall -
every little bump brings painful tears, drains ALL chiro progress, so am not going back.
Local roads have always been bad.
Better rides, e.g. 2012 Pilot still a problem + darn hard to get into out of, made for small people

Cheap fix please
no new cars for me!
Already tried tires’ air, front end suspension replaced

I’ve got a bad back, and I’m a fleet mechanic, as you know

My personal experience is that as far as pickups go, the 1/2 ton models tend to have a bouncier ride than the 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups

Can you define “front end suspension replaced” . . . ?

What brand tires?

What size tires?

LT- or P-series?

I suspect P-series, based on the model year and the fact you probably have the 4.2 V6, but I’d still like to know

How many psi are you running in the tires, front and rear, please?

What brand shocks?

Front and rear, I presume?

Oh, one more thing. on the some of the smaller trucks . . . bear in mind I also work on some truly massive vehicles . . . the ride improves with a load in the bed

I’m sorry I don’t have a “cheap fix” for you :frowning_face:

1 Like

Concur w/ @db4690 above, unlikely to be any cheap fixes for this problem. One thing in your favor, at least you don’t have my Ford truck. Older than yours, much older. It’s really bouncy, like riding a horse almost. I need new shocks of course, but low priority as truck isn’t driven much and only around town. A couple summers ago I had some contracting work done, and the contractor had a Silverado, which I’d ride to and fro with him sometimes to get supplies, permits, etc. I must say, the ride on that truck was really good. It didn’t even feel like a truck, more like a Lexus ride. So maybe give a Silverado a test drive, see if you agree. If so, time to swap trucks maybe. It was tall but still pretty easy to get and out off because it had side rails – sort of running boards – to place your feet to lift you up and down. Parking that turck was a bit of a beast though, 'cause it was so big.

If you must keep your existing truck, taller sidewall tires, softer treads, lower inflation pressure, maybe there’s a softer riding shock available, check for broken springs, and maybe there’s something an upholsterer could do to improve the seat cushioning.

The contractor’s Silverado

1/2 ton

3/4 ton

1 ton

regular cab, short bed

regular cab long bed

extended cab, short bed

extended cab, long bed

and so on

Well, which was it . . . ?!

It does make a significant difference. We have tons of Silverados in our fleet. . . of varying vintages, GVWR, bed and cab configurations, RWD, 4x4, etc. . . . and they do not all ride the same

Telling OP to consider a Silverado is questionable advice, in my opinion. As there are lots of different variables.

https://search.aol.com/aol/search?s_chn=prt_customfirefox&q=air+ride+seat&s_it=comsearch

An air ride seat may be your solution?

Tester

This is your best bet, an air ride seat like tractor trailer rigs have. Something that is not bolted directly to floor panel but attached with shocks such as ones found on small Chinese made 4 wheel gas engine go karts. They come with coil springs. 4 of them 1 attached to each corner.
Also air shocks in back maybe or a plush captains seat
One thing for your back that helped me is magnesium supplements, about 500mg a day. Facilitates blood flow to injured area, blood heals.

Not everybody’s got the same bad back

I’ve got a bad back, yet those air air seats and lumbar supports actually do more harm than good, as far as I’m concerned. Many of trucks at work are equipped with those seats, and I don’t enjoy driving them. I know how to properly adjust the seats, but there’s no comfortable position

Bottom line . . . they actually CAUSE back pain for me

Hopefully OP will have better luck than I did

Was entertaining thoughts of “air shocks” that run on a pump = NOT cheap, thus avoiding that

My personal experience is that as far as pickups go, the 1/2 ton models tend to have a bouncier ride than the 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups
AGREED

Can you define “front end suspension replaced” . . . ?
Alignment - all ball joints & “moog” - caster/camber kit - frt swaybar links kit - shocks reported 2012 or less old

What brand tires?
Achilles Desert Hawk H/T

What size tires?
P236/70R16 109H
LT- or P-series?

I suspect P-series, based on the model year and the fact you probably have the 4.2 V6, but I’d still like to know

How many psi are you running in the tires, front and rear, please?
29/32 as per vehicle specs

What brand shocks?
“Monroes” Jul 27, 2012

Front and rear, I presume?
Yes

Oh, one more thing. on the some of the smaller trucks . . . bear in mind I also work on some truly massive vehicles . . . the ride improves with a load in the bed
AGREED and it doesn’t take much

Do you have anything in the bed?

Have you tried driving the trucks with a few bags of sand, for example?

Any improvement, with regards to your back?

The seats themselves . . . bench or bucket?

Are they in decent shape, or “sat through” with compressed foam and collapsed springs?

Even though I’m personally not a fan of lumbar supports, have you tried one? I’m talking the kind that go between YOUR back and the seat back

Shouldn’t that read ’ not for small people ’ because even at 5’ 11" I don’t care to climb in my neighbors Honda Pilot.

My wife and I and others have found this helpful

No disagreement, lots of variables in play. Presumably OP would do a test drive on a number of vehicles before purchasing.

1 Like

Any chance of switching to a regular car? Maybe rent a Camry or Malibu, see if it’s an improvement? A Pilot could still be a bit rough riding.

1 Like

Do you have anything in the bed?
Only a toolbox, summertime adds mulch load not yet distributed

Have you tried driving the trucks with a few bags of sand, for example?
Agreed, a load of anything does improve ride, the more, the better

Any improvement, with regards to your back?
Less bumps felt, the better

The seats themselves . . . bench or bucket?
Bench and still A-OK, although 2001 model only 75k miles
Are they in decent shape, or “sat through” with compressed foam and collapsed springs?

Even though I’m personally not a fan of lumbar supports, have you tried one? I’m talking the kind that go between YOUR back and the seat back
That is a thought, since this seat does not recline nor adjust, almost a 90d angle

Air shocks = stupid?

I think we have found the problem .

I think we’re getting somewhere

So it seems your back likes it better, if you carry a sizable load in the bed . . . at least for now, until your back improves. I’m thinking positive, since your bad back is due to an injury (which could heal), as opposed to my bad back, which is not due to injury

And the bench seat might simply not have sufficient adjustment options for your particular bad back. An aftermarket lumbar support might just work for you, or possibly some kind of a cushion