To start or not to start, HOA needs to know!

Dear Tom and Ray, I have been unemployed since July of last year. Therefore, my 2004 Jeep Liberty is sitting in front of my house as these are shared spaces. This past weekend, the HOA in my community started ticketing vehicles, including mine, saying that a vehicle cannot sit in the same space for more than 12 hours. I have the ability to push my Jeep to spaces around me. Do I risk a hernia or will it not hurt the vehicle to start it for less than a minute to “comply” with the community. Tim

The 12 hour limit is ridiculous. I’d fight it. Perhaps they’re specifically targeting you.

All of my vehicles sit in my driveway or garage for more than 12 hours at a time on a regular basis. Sometimes they sit for a week or more.

Starting a vehicle’s engine for just a minute or so is one of the worst things you can do. If you’re going to start it you should drive it for 15-20 minutes. If you really can push it from one spot to the other it would be better for the engine.

I agree; that 12 hour rule is ridiculous. So after spending an evening watching television you’re supposed to set the alarm clock for 3 in the morning and move the car to avoid a potential violation?
Can’t go into the hospital for surgery because the car must be moved?

Either option you mention is distasteful to me. I’d be looking to move as soon as possible.