To "Start" do you always turn the key in the clockwise direction?

Rod Knox "It’s funny that none of the GTOs pictured were the early model which had the 389 ci engine."
A very early one was the “ringer” furnished to Car and Driver for a road test. 421 ci tri power. 0 to 60 4.5 seconds! The first car I purchased in 1967 for $900 cash was a 1963 Bonneville convertible 421 tri power 4 speed hydramatic. Perfect car for a 15 year old!!!

The 1964 Tempest/GTO has always been my favorite. In 1970 a local lot had a beautiful silver convertible. Black interior and top. 389 tri power w/4 speed. $1500 which was about $500 more than my bank account. Sigh…

Likewise @MikeInNH, I don't notice any political spin to the Cosmos broadcasts

The show was stating scientific facts as we know them. A lot of religious conservatives were screaming liberal agenda when Neil said the earth is 4 billion years old. People like Sara Palin crying blasphemy because she knows the earth is only 6000 years old. There was no political bias…just science.

Look up “joke” in the dictionary…

It sound like some folks were offended by the content of Cosmos. I guess I can see how that might happen. If so, to me a commonsense remedy would be for commercial TV to allow the offended groups to air a program presenting their own views. Then everyone would have a chance for their say.

Then everyone would have a chance for their say

The conservatives were also pisssed because they weren’t allowed to present their narrow point of view. This is SCIENCE…NOT religion.

I must be living under a log, I never heard of a controversy about this program until now. Maybe b/c I didn’t watch it at the original airing. But I can see how it might offend someone with deeply held religious views. I think if a lot of folks were offended, they should have a chance to present their views too. To me, that’s a fair way to resolve the issue. It doesn’t have to be one way or the other, there’s plenty of air time on commercial tv available. I see no harm at all deferring “Dancing With the Stars” for a few weeks … lol …

George, I think the reason you didn’t hear about any controversy from those who watched is because all twelve of them were busy that night.

I tried to watch. I truely did. I loved he old Carl Sagan Cosmos series, and I’ve heard Neil Degrasse-Tyson speak and was very impressed, but the new Cosmos show was very, very poorly written, apparently produced by some Hollywood type who learned all his science from Sesame Street. Pretending to be in a spaceship flying through space overrode and took way too much time from the science. People who love science (and I am one) don’t want to be talked to like third graders, and don’t want to pretend we’re flying through space in an imaginary spaceship.

Neil Degrasse-Tyson does occasionally make comments that can be offensive to religious people. He’s been criticized for this before. But in this show I think the show was just terribly written.

I think if a lot of folks were offended, they should have a chance to present their views too.

I disagree with that. If they had a view that was actual science, then maybe. But their view is strictly religious…which has no place in science. When was the last time you saw scientists demanding equal time with religious groups/churches to present their point of view??

@“THE SAME MOUNTAINBIKE”

Pretending to be in a spaceship flying through space overrode and took way too much time from the science.

I thought that was a little hokey also. But it didn’t bother me that much.

People who love science (and I am one) don't want to be talked to like third graders

Unfortunately that’s where the level of science is in most people in this country.

What I did like was the history behind much of the science. Who was involved and how a discovery came about.

Neil Degrasse-Tyson does occasionally make comments that can be offensive to religious people.

True…but he’s not going around to religious groups demanding they listen to him…or making any kind of personal attacks because they have a different view then he does. The conservative’s made many many personal and racists attacks on Neil to discredit the show any way they could.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/its-funny-soon-neil-degrasse-tyson-brings-religion-creationists-dont-want-him-talking-about

Fun fact: I, like Neil deGrasse Tyson, am an atheist.

I think even engine cranks always turned clockwise. Must be human nature to prefer clockwise.

@the same mountainbike: “I think even engine cranks always turned clockwise. Must be human nature to prefer clockwise.” – except some marine applications with twin engines where one turns one way and one the other.

What did we call that direction of motion before the invention of clocks? Sundialwise?

@Mustangman The Le Car was called the Renault 5 in France and the rest of Europe. To the French and most Europeans who speak French it would have sounded odd. Americans like French names, and if you can glamorize a pathetically poor car, why not?

You can’t buy a Cuisinart food processor in France; it’s called a “Robot Coupe” over there.

Interesting question, ase. North or south of the equator?

All Honda engines with the belts on the driver’s side turn CCW.

“Sunwise”:

@‌Docnick, LeCar in French must have made the hair stand up on any Frenchman. They hate English words incorporated with French words.

I have a French friend that told me the Toyota MR 2 had its name changed to just MR in France because the French pronunciation of “MR 2” was “merdeux” which means the car is, well, shall we say, it belongs in the toilet. That just does not sell cars. Much like Nova, phonetically means “No Go” in Spanish or LaCrosse in Ontario Canada is a euphemism for self play. Just more in the long line of language gaffs of carmakers.

BTW, I wonder if any of Thomas Crapper’s descendents have changed their names.

@Mustangman Linguistic and cultural gaffes abound. Advertising agencies have the responsibility of checking out if something translates well. I used to have the responsibility of making sales literature for Swedish products suitable for North America. I often had to argue my case with the Swedish parent, who used mostly British English, that some of their terms were unacceptable or embarrassing when used in Canada or the USA.

One of the funniest scenes was a Quebec, Canada, based maker of ski wear who were introducing a new line of ski clothes at a Paris, France fashion show. A very popular color that year was a dark greenish brown, which the Quebec company called “caleche brown”. A caleche is a horse drawn carriage that you see in New York and Montreal to give tourists a scenic ride.

However, the Montreal-based company and their ad agency were rather clueless, and did not check with such firms as J. Walter Thompson in New York who are experts at cultural nuances.

When the announcer at the Paris show introduced their new line of clothes as “caleche brown” everyone was rolling in the isles. In Paris the colloquial meaning of caleche is not the carriage, but what the horse leaves behind on the street. So much for provincial arrogance.

When Nissan first started selling cars here they had the Cedric as their top line, followed by the Gloria, Sonny, Cherry, and Micra. The 260-Z was called the Fairlady.

Needless to say the names were changed quickly for North America, but my sister in Holland had a Sonny up till a few years ago.

Here is a CCW ignition switch for 1926 and early 1927 Oldsmobiles.

CCW ignition switch image

To unlock the switch you insert the key and turn the key 180 degrees. The key must then be removed to turn the switch.

Turning the switch 2 positions counterclockwise is ignition On (starter button is on floor).

The middle position is ignition Off, but not locked. From here it can be turned on again without the key or CW and it locks Off automatically.

Another strange quirk is if the pin tumblers are at the bottom as shown you turn the key CW a half turn and remove it. Then the next time its locked you need to turn the key over because the tumblers will be on top, then turn it CCW to unlock, as before the key must then be removed. To keep from being confused I always turn the key 180 degrees CCW then 180 CW right away. This way it is the same side up every time.

I hope that I didn’t create confusion. The image link above will make it easier to understand. In practice it is easy to use. I have it out of the car right now because it appears the coil has given out.

1 Like