To sell or to store for 10 months?

It really comes down to what you want to drive after the 10 months. You can perform mental (and mathematical) gymnastics to justify any of the options. If you don’t want a payment in 10 months, keep the Volvo. If you fancy having a different vehicle than the Volvo, trade it in.

1 Like

Good summary, Rainflurry, but I needed the above thoughtful mental gymnastics to help decide. I enjoy my Volvo except for the ongoing problems with the electronic locks – they have failed 3 times during the extended warranty period. I will see if I can keep both cars on active insurance without costing an arm and a leg. I am trying to help out my parents. Thanks all! Lori

That part about the failing locks makes me lean toward selling the Volvo. That will be costly after the warranty period is gone. Also you seem to imply that the insurance on both will be a burden. I say sell the Volvo , see what you can be refunded on the extended warranty and have 10 months with a clear mind to decide what you really want to do.

1 Like

Just for your information, Blackbook tradein value of the Volvo is $9800. (Close to the offer) A 2012 model with 45.000 miles is $8250. No free lunch. I would sell it.

The last 2 comments nailed it. I am selling my Volvo to my friendly local Chevy dealer tomorrow. Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. What a great group! Warmest regards.

1 Like

Rather than just run it, maybe also drive it 10-12 miles, not just for battery charge, but pumping steering and transmission fluid around. Just “seems” to make sense to this non-gearhead.

Insurance costs can be high, especially in certain cities. My two year old Subaru was $3200 a year insurance in 2006. Dropped to half that when I moved to rural area.

Sheridan , the OP is selling the Volvo so we are done here.

Put it in ‘mothballs’ but, before you do, change the oil, fill the gas tank and buy and use a battery tender. If you store it where mice or other vermin can get to it, you may want to stick steel wool in the exhaust pipe, but I have left a vehicle for almost 6 months (w/o using steel wool) and the vehicle worked just fine.

Oh yeah, I dropped all insurance EXCEPT comprehensive and my cost to insure was negligible.