To rotate or not rotate

Neither is CR a racing magazine unless you actually think it is…I’m just repeating their analogy. It applies whether you get it or not. Worn tires have better traction on dry pavement. That’s why CR and others recommend rotating tires to keep tread in balance and starting with 4 new. I wouldn’t be classifying everything as “stupid” just because I don’t get it. Otherwise, I’d be calling quantum mechanics stupid.

Besides…Safety advances that we see in today’s passenger vehicles, oftentimes are developed in racing programs; tires included. CR a consumer based magazine gets that.

I looked up the consumers report and read it. They used shaved tires to simulate worn tires. That is not a direct comparison with an aged tire and is therefore a flawed argument.

So you have your engineering degree from where and can disagree with those at the testing facilities at CR ? A few other sources agree with their flawed argument as well.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/slicks.html
http://autotips.plentycar.com/best-tires-for-replacement/

BTW, Tires are considered bald when one or more of their grooves reaches 2/32 of an inch deep, so before you talk aged tires, many cars are driving around already on “bald tires”. We’re not talking aged rubber cracked tires.
Find me a reputable source that says bald tires in general or slicks specifically as referred to by CR do not have superior traction on dry pavement as stated by CR, to comparable tires with newer tread.

Just so some one doesn’t have a cow.
NO ONE is recommending use of bald tires, the trade off in poor traction in slippery conditions is so great, it’s never recommended. But facts are facts whether you’re “afraid to admit them” or not.

No not an engineer. One better , I am a mechanic who is familiar with the problems we face when an engineer over looks something. Shaving new tires is something done by drivers on stock car tracks. A stiffer less flexible block and the shaving gives the surface a aggressive grip. I?m not sure if this is what they use to ? fray the surface ? when you ice race or not. Some one else might know that.
One of the problems with internet , its hard to get together and do some runs on a pad.

"No not an engineer. One better , I am a mechanic " I have respect for mechanics in what they can do; I don’t expect them to know as much about scientific methods and predicting outcomes, designing tires and providing responsible and accurate and consistent information. In this respect, you’re NOT one better.

Is this like the engineer who said accidents where caused by tires expanding due to centrifical force and causing cars to bounce off the road? The Wright brothers had no degree in engineering yet look what they did.
And from Bob the oil guy you quote

“The reason a bald tire, worn down till there’s no tread is NOT equal to a slick tire is due to several reasons. For one, all rubber tends to harden over time.”

You can go on ad nauseam giving some vague unsupported example of some dumb thing some one who calls himself an engineer says, to make your point. If higher education scares you into thinking that person is less qualified in his field, than some one with “good old common sense”, anything you or anyone else can come up must be true I guess.

Thanks anyway for the leads. Consumers reports has some of my reports.Guess I will tackle them next