To fix or not to fix?

I have a 97 Land Rover Discovery. I go to work at 6am M-F. Typically, when I start it up it starts, but once I back up and put in back into Drive it cuts off. I will need to restart is a few times before it is absolutely ready to drive. I took it in to get it fixed and they fixed something for 500, but not the cutting off problem. It doesn’t cut off as much,but it still cuts off about 3 or 4 days a week. I’ve been able to live with this problem. It recently started making noise when I decelarate. A terrible siren type noise. Then, last weekend the front differential broke and the car is not drivable anymore. I HAVE to have transportation. It is going to cost 1200 to get it fixed. I would rather buy a newer car, but my husband thinks it would be wiser to get it fixed. I’m concerned that if I pay the 1200 to get it fixed something else will go wrong soon and the car will just become a money pit :frowning: What should I do? Buy a new car or fix the old car? Keep in mind I am a poor teacher and my money is very scarce :slight_smile:

Well, as you found out the hard way, Rovers are probably the least reliable vehicles marketed in this country–and as they age they certainly don’t suddenly become more reliable. If I were you, I would buy something much newer (preferably, a make with a well-earned reputation for above-average reliability) and more fuel-efficient, and consider this to be a lesson learned.

If you want to consider a late-model used car, then I suggest that you buy a copy of the Consumer Reports Guide to Used Cars, as this will give you a good view of historical reliability on all makes of vehicles. It also contains a list of vehicles to avoid (Hint: The '97 Land Rover Discovery is on that list!) Just be sure that you have a used car evaluated by your own mechanic prior to purchase.

If you are looking for a new car, then Consumer Reports has another buying guide for brand new vehicles and this will give you capsule descriptions, reviews, pricing information, mpg figures, safety ratings, reliability information, and essentially everything that you need prior to deciding which showrooms to visit.

Good luck with your hunt for a replacement vehicle!

I would never have considered a Land Rover for a daily commuter car in the first place. Maybe you got this one as a gift or a super bargain so you stuck with it. But you should have always kept alert for any reason to get rid of it. Now you have one.

You are right to worry about it becoming a money pit. Even if you replace the differential you are back at Square 1, not knowing the reason it frequently cuts out (which it will continue to do). And apparently your last mechanic did not know the reason either.

It’s time to say bye-bye to Rover.