To CVT or not CVT: That is the Question!

5 speeds are perfectly sufficient for the average FWD daily driver. 8 and 9 speed trannys are great for big ol’ S-class cars, but as already stated those that buy these should be able to afford the servicing and/or repairs… although most of them on the road are probably either leased or taking up far more of the family’s budget than I’d be comfortable with.

Myself I prefer a regular 5-spped automatic. If I win the lottery I might reconsider. :smiley:

“Myself I prefer a regular 5-spped automatic”

+1
That’s what I have now, and I see it as being completely capable of providing both decent fuel economy and good acceleration under all conditions–without the needless complexity of an 8 or 9 speed transmission.

Mountain, you’ve got that the other way around. It’s the small engine that needs the torque multiplication offered by 9 and 10 speeds. I always felt that my 5 speeds rev too high on the highway while having barely enough torque for those steep hill launches. Big engines can easily torque itself to its power band from low rpm

I am the not so proud owner of a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder and a Nissan Altima 2013. These were the worst years for Nissans CVT issues, but even now, they cant seem to get it right. I just got told that I need a new Jutter and transmission assembly. Not going to happen. Especially since they told me this when I was having no issues with the transmission and I was only at the dealer for an oil change…….Check engine light was on, but the only code that showed was for the catalytic converter…another issue with Nissan.The Rogue has joined in the CVT issues as well. My mechanic said to stay away from Nissan as a whole and that Toyota and Honda have the most reliable CVT transmissions. Most cars nowadays have CVT is my understanding. Happy Car Hunting!

Just to provide an update on our 2011 Outback. I missed galant’s question three years ago, so I am pleased to report that the Outback is up to 135K miles and no issues. We paid the dealer to change the trans fluid at 100K miles. May decide to do so again at 150K miles.

1 Like

Another reason to get a conventional tranny . Normal schedule on a conventional is 100 -120000 .

From what I have seen a 5 speed auto is more than enough . Have a 6 speed in our van and that is the worst shifting van we have ever had . The old 4 speed was much smoother and more refined . I suppose some makers have mastered the 8 and nine speeds but I see a lot of complaints about them as a whole .

:woozy_face:

Normal schedule for… what?
If you are talking about fluid changes, 100 miles is about 29,900 miles too soon, and 120k is far too late if somebody wants to get maximum life from his transmission.
:thinking:

I think he meant 100,000 to 120,000 miles. Too long, IMO, as you said. 30,000 to 40,000 miles is more like it.

The rubber belt CVT first appeared on the DAF Daffodil some years ago.

Say that again :smile:. It’s 61 years ago.
They first came in -58 with the Daf 60, after that, in -60 the 30 (the Daffodil).
In -75, the car division was sold to Volvo who developed the 66 and in the end, the 343 (later named 340).
That was the last model to be produced with the variomatic.
You could give other people on the road a real scare with those cars as they would go just as fast in reverse as in D.
They worked on 2 drivebelts, one for each rear wheel and they could be run with just one of them

… and none of the modern iterations of CVT utilize a rubber belt…

Folks interested in those original CVT’s, since they went as fast backwards as forwards, they of course held backward race events. The March, 2019 issue of Practical Classics magazine has an article about this, here’s a brief excerpt.

“As backwards racing fever reached a peak DAF cars all over the Netherlands were being nicked (stolen) … The number of injuries sustained during [the backwards race events] caused national health insurance premiums to shoot up. Reverse racing combined unmitigated chaos with real danger and was therefore hugely entertaining” … lol .

Had a 2017 Forester. My experience was that driving with a CVT was utterly joyless. Moreover, CVT’s have very poor torque. So they cannot handle much of a trailer load (you can’t even get a 2" receiver hitch, for example). I may be a rare bird in that I like to drive.

I bought the car because I have had Subarus previously. Subarus ain’t the same as they used to be in many ways that I did not like. Sold it. Bought a slightly used Lexus GX 460 Luxury build, a totally different beast.

Of course it’s a totally different beast, due to its full-frame truck design, low-range AWD, and true off-road capability. Comparing a compact Crossover like a Forester to a GX 460 is like comparing one of the old Ford Rancheros to an F-250. Totally different beasts…

1 Like

… and a pretty bizarre comparison, since you are comparing a compact Crossover to a luxo-type truck-based SUV with a list price more than twice the price of the smaller vehicle.

The steak that I ate last week at the diner was nowhere near as good as the one that I had last night at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. Imagine that!

100000 if you can’t figure that out. Chrysler by the manual for normal driving is 120000 miles for their vans at least . With today’s fluids and filters changing it at 50000 is overkill .

You do have some valid points . . .

Kenworths, Peterbilts and Freightliners don’t use CVT transmissions . . .