To Buy or Not to Buy: 2000 Toyota Sienna

I have a friend who has a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE for sale. It has 110,000 miles on it and has had 3 owners, counting him. He does not know if the vehicle was ever taken care of in re the famous “Oil Sludge” problem this generation had. He says he’s had no problems with it and has been good with the 5,000 mi oil changes. I can’t find any info on those handy vehicle history report websites. The car has not been driven since October of last year as he’s left the country. He wants $6,000.00 for it.

So here are my questions for you guys:

Should I buy this car? Is the price fair? How many miles can one reasonably expect from one of these minivans? Should I be concerned about the “Oil Gel/sludge” issue?

I want nothing more from a car than that it be really dependable.

Many thanks for your generous help

At least your friend is being honest with you. A 10 year old car, any car, with 3 past ownwers and no maintenance records, is a complete crapshoot. Even if the engine was not prone to sludging, it would still be very risky.

Something expensive ($2000+) might happen to it anytime after you buy it.

I would stay away from this one, even if your neighbor has treated the vehicle gently.

If you are after “dependability”, buy a much newer and well miantained Honda or Toyota. Take a pass on this one.

To see the book value of the car I went on Edmunds.com and got the TMV (true market value) which is $5,400 in “clean” condition and $3,830 in “average” condition. I doubt the condition of the Sienna is clean as that would be a very good looking car with everything working perfectly. Average is more likely since some scratches in the bumpers and door dings, and some dirt on the upholstery is pretty much the norm.

The price he is asking is what a dealer would charge for a detailed nice looking example with at least a 30 day warranty. If you think you’d like this Sienna, an offer of about $4,000 seems in the ballpark. That will give you some leeway for new tires, or some brakes if needed. The 110,000 miles was part of my estimate, and this is about average mileage for the vehicle, it neither added or deducted from the base value of the XLE.

If it hasn’t been done the Sienna is due for a timing belt change at 90k/7 years. I believe the 3.0 V6 is a non-interference engine though.

Ed B.

“I doubt the condition of the Sienna is clean as that would be a very good looking car with everything working perfectly. Average is more likely since some scratches in the bumpers and door dings, and some dirt on the upholstery is pretty much the norm.”

It seems to me that your clean is Edmunds outstanding and your average is their clean. Here’s what Edmunds says about condition:

1. Outstanding Vehicle is in exceptional mechanical, exterior and interior condition with no visible wear; it requires no reconditioning. Paint will have a glossy appearance. Vehicle has no mechanical and/or cosmetic problems and has a clean engine compartment. Exterior and interior are free of any damage. Tires are in nearly new condition. Vehicle has a clean title and has the ability to pass an emissions inspection.
  2. Clean Vehicle shows some normal wear but has no major mechanical and/or cosmetic problems. Paint still has a glossy finish and may have slight scratches or dings. Some reconditioning may be needed. Interior will have minimal fading and wear. Tires have substantial tread remaining. Vehicle has a clean title and has the ability to pass an emissions inspection.
  3. Average Vehicle may have a few mechanical and/or cosmetic problems and may require a considerable amount of reconditioning. Exterior paint has some dullness. Vehicle may have a considerable amount of scratches or dings. Interior material is slightly worn and faded. Tires have some useable tread remaining. Vehicle has a clean title and has the ability to pass an emissions inspection.
  4. Rough Vehicle has several mechanical and/or cosmetic problems. Exterior and interior need significant repairs. Tires may need to be replaced. Vehicle may need minor repairs to pass an emissions inspection, but it has a clean title.
  5. Damaged Vehicle has major mechanical and/or body damage that may render it in non-safe running condition. Exterior and interior is damaged or worn. Tires need to be replaced. Vehicle may have a branded title (i.e. salvaged, flooded, frame damaged, etc.). Vehicle may require significant repairs to pass an emissions inspection.

If price is paramount, this might be a good buy. But you need to have a trusted mechanic check it out. $6000 is a bit high. Edmunds says that a loaded XLE (there were several options available) is worth about $5800 in clean condition. Subtract any problems that need to be fixed from $5800 and decide if you want to make an offer.

You might also consider a less popular, newer van like a 2003 Olds Silhouette. You could get a 2003 Silhouette Premier, similar to the XLE, with less than 90,000 miles for a couple hundred less than the Toyota. This is just an example to show you how much more popular cars cost. But I will add that we have the 2003 Silhouette Premier and like it a lot.

You guys are quite awesome. Thank you for you quick responses. Price is important on this for me but dependability is equally important. The van is in between clean and average, leaning more towards the clean.

Right now I have a 2001 Saturn SL2 with aprox. 90,000 on it. It’s in average condition, gets 30 mpg hwy still. So I’m trying to figure out if its worth the switch or should I wait for another possibility.

This may be a little late, but yes, be concerned about sludge. my 2001 Avalon (same engine) didnt show the problem until 125000. It cost me $1500 to fix it.

Pull the valve cover and look before you buy. And by the way 6k seems a little steep, but without the sludge issue this is a 300000 mile engine.

Chris, Why Do You Want To Get Out Of The 01 Saturn With 90,000 Miles And Into An 00 Toyota With 110,000 Miles, Unknown History And A Possibility Of Sludge Related Problems From Poor Past Maintenance ?

Is the Saturn problematic ?
Do you need more room ?

If you want, “I want nothing more from a car than that it be really dependable.”, then I would keep driving the Saturn while saving more money until you can get a newer, younger car with a known and documented maintenance history.

There’s a lot to be said for driving what you’ve got.

Chris, tell us about the Saturn and why you are considering this move.

CSA

Darn It ! I’ve Been Scammed Again ! Ronparise Has Just Dredged Up A Question From March ! I Didn’t Notice I Was Wasting Time On A 3+ Month Old Discussion !

Thanks Ron. There ought to be a law.

:wink:

CSA