Tires

I have three decent used tires for winter. Could I buy a used 4th mis-matched tire? I have to manually shift my 4 wheel drive into place when I use it. My vehicle is a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4.

AWD/4WD should always have four matched tires. Tires are cheaper than transfer case or differential repair.

Twotone

And to add to Twotone, having mismatched tyres (side to side) can cause handling problems under poor road conditions. In other words, it may be a safety issue as well.

find a fourth tire that matches the other three and have it shaved to match circumference. Or get four that match

While four matching tires is preferred, you could probbly get away with buying two more matching tires.

Put matching pairs on each axle. With manual 4X4 you should be OK.

I’m with McP on this one.

I wouldn’t. I suspect you’d have trouble keeping the car going in a straight line with certain maneuvers in certain conditions.

At least keep matching tires on the same axle, as others have said, although matching tires all the way around is definitely the safest.

If you do this, put the newest tires on the rear axle.

There is a lot you can get away in normal driving and some of this has been pointed out well to you. When an emergency maneuver situation occurs or during slippery weather, the differences in traction front to back and side to side begin to become apparent and maybe one’s “expert driving skills” could compensate. IMO, expert maintenance is more important cause you just don’t know how well you’ll react.

So my response is like a Dirty Harry line; “do you feel lucky…; well, do you…?”

Agreed. Tires with the best tread should be on the rear axle.

In addition to this If you do replace only one tire It can damage the all wheel drive system as the tires have to have the same circumference (as alluded to above) in addition to adding to the previously mentioned handling problems in emergency situations. Get at least 2 tires unless the other three tires are almost new and I mean NEW.

weather, the differences in traction front to back and side to side begin to become apparent and maybe one’s “expert driving skills” could compensate. IMO, expert maintenance is more important cause you just don’t know how well you’ll react.

[b]  "expert driving skills"[/b]  If you truly have expert driving skill, you would want matched tyres to add to your safety.  If you don't agree, I would argue your driving skills are not as good as you may believe.

When we were younger, we all did some crazy things with tires to save money and lived through it. Those who didn’t, aren’t here to make ANY recommendations.