Tires

Will I damage my car if I put 205/70R15 (studded) tires on my car that currently has 205/60R15?

Not sure why you evnen want to do this, since a Subaru Outback with proper winter tires has the best traction of any wheeled vehicle. I suspect you have these tires left over form an other vehcle or someone gave or willed them to you.

If all tires are exactly the same with the same amount of wear on them, it will not damge the drive train. Studded tires don’t handle as well as good winter tires, like Michelin X-ICE.

If you drive all winter on glaring ice, you might have a need for this. Other wise you you ruining the refined ride and handling of one of the world’s best winter cars.

To my knpowledge only Northern Sweden, Finland and Russia still use studded tires. Even Canadian don’t use them anymore.

As long as all 4 tires are the same size, then the expensive AWD mechanism will not be harmed.

However, it is important that you find out if there is sufficient clearance in the wheel wells for the 70-series tires. The parts department at the Subaru dealership should be able to tell you if any Legacy or Outback vehicles were supplied with 70-series tires. I suspect that some were supplied with these cheaper tires, but it is best to check.

The tire calculator (from 1010 tires) I used does not recommend this change. Reason is that the difference is about 6% and they recommend only a max variance of 3%.

I appreciate the help, everyone.
There are lots of used (but good condition) tires available on a certain online classified ad site. I will keep watching for a perfect match.
Hey Docnic, I guess I’m in some special circumstances, in Alaska. Most everyone I know use studded tires up here.

The tires should work fine…6% larger in circumference will not hurt anything…Your speedometer may read 60 mph and your actual speed will be 62, something like that…

Caddyman, unless I am reading it wrong there is a 6% difference in size (is that diameter) and 6% is enough to damage that AWD. Maybe you were assuming he would shave the new tyre or maybe I am missing something.

Joseph

It appears that the OP is placing 4 winter tires on the car, not replacing one tire.
The AWD mechanism will not be affected by these tires as long as they are all the same size.

this is not something that would be recommended. the 60 series is lower in profile and quite a bit wider. you would throw off the speedometer and if equiped with ABS then speed sensors would not be accurate. it would also affect the way the car would handle, being the 70 series is narrower and taller.the 205/70-15 is 26.3 inches diam and requires 793 revolution per mile. the 205/60-15 is 24.7 inches in diam and requires 846 revolutions per mile. hope this helps

I am very surprised that no one has mention the clearance issue.

Without knowing the vehicle, we can not be sure there won’t be rubbing - or worse.

It is fine if an only IF the 4 studded tires are of the same make/model/brand/size AND tread depth wear. If the tread depth is different the spec on Subaru is within 1/4" of each tire for the rolling circumference (distance around tire contacting pavement with consistent inflation).

Capri Racer

Please refer to the second post in this thread, which I wrote more than 12 hours ago.
For your convenience, and the convenience of others, I will repeat a part of what I stated earlier:

However, it is important that you find out if there is sufficient clearance in the wheel wells for the 70-series tires. The parts department at the Subaru dealership should be able to tell you if any Legacy or Outback vehicles were supplied with 70-series tires. I suspect that some were supplied with these cheaper tires, but it is best to check.