Tires and whether Michelin Defenders T handle as good as H rated other tieres

I too have found with the redesign on the triple treads the road noise becomes horrendous rather quickly. Which is why I’m not really too sad to change tire types. I’m currently looking into if the Nokian WR G3 actually is available in my car’s size (a local retailer said they might be, contrary to the web site - OT, the 225/50 R18 H seems to be a pretty obscure tire size - thanks Subaru!) and if they are, I’ll probably go that way for the speed rating and supporting the local shop, but otherwise I think I’m still sold on the Defenders.

FWIW, and based on my professional experience . .

I think your chances of getting 40K with those Defenders are very slim

BTW . . . I have had 0 noise problems with Goodyear Tripletreads, even when they were worn. And they also didn’t reduce my fuel economy in any way

I realize my experiences are diametrically opposed to some of the other regulars . . . but I simply don’t care

As I said earlier, everybody’s experiences will vary

I’m going to add something for the case for steel wheels and winter tires, POT HOLES. I recommend that you get the 17" steel wheels from the base model Legacy and the OEM size 225-55/17 winter tires. This will give you a little more impact cushion when you hit one of those hidden pot holes that grow under the snow and ice in winter.

Unless tire rack can guarantee that the steel wheels they sell will match your Legacy for hub diameter and offset, I’d suggest that you get your steel wheels from the dealer. They will cost more, but they will be engineered to fit your car as they are the factory wheels on the base model.

If you do hit a pothole that is big enough to damage the steel wheel, think of how much you save replacing it vs a factory alloy wheel.

1 Like