Tires and Transmission update

Now I get it! I agree. I don’t need, nor want, more than 3 forward speeds + OD. I have torque convertor. :wink:
CSA

I worked at Volkswagen dealers a couple of times (three?) and way back in the 60s and 70s (in the twentieth century) some of the brand new VWs had Contis on them. Also, we sold them.

Let’s just say that I could have purchased them at a very reasonable cost (discounts and “tire bucks”), but I opted for Michelins every time. :wink:
CSA

Yup!
While few of my OEM tires over the years have been impressive in any way, they were all at least…adequate…until their treads became prematurely worn. I more or less expect that an OEM tire will have fairly limited tread life.

However, unlike all of my other OEM tires, those Contis were a b*tch to balance, had a harsh ride, and were fairly noisy. When I finally decided to pull the plug on those Contis, they were only down to ~5/32, but I ditched them anyway, and the replacement Michelin Defenders actually made my Outback feel like a different vehicle.

In addition to an improvement in ride quality and noise level, switching over to Michelins resulted in the vehicle’s handling improving to an incredible extent, and even the gas mileage improved a bit. And, the Defenders are wearing so slowly that I think they may actually go for the claimed 90k miles.
:grin: