Tire talc - do you use it?

Bicyclists use talc to lubricate between tubes and tires. We can no longer use the cheap stuff from the HABA section of drug and grocery stores because it’s all cornstarch as a result of the asbestos lawsuit against Johnson&Johnson. Auto Zone doesn’t have it; O’Reilly has it on its website but not in my local store. How often do you-all use it? For anything other than tube tires?

I always use it when patching a tube to keep the patch (and the tube in general) from adhering to or otherwise abrading to the inside of the tire. It is generally available from tire service material suppliers, the same place we buy patches, rubber cement, wheel weights, etc.

I have patched one tube in the last 8 years.

2 Likes

The last time I used it was when replacing the tires on a car with wire wheels, which required inner tubes.
With all the drawbacks of using inner tubes on a car with radial tires, the difficulty in finding proper size/decent quality inner tubes, the difficulty finding a shop willing to mount them and the comparative low cost of new auto tires, it’s hard to imagine that anyone would even consider them.

As for bicycles, maybe it would make mounting a tire a little easier but otherwise, why bother?

Maybe for truck or trailer tires?

1 Like

If you want to buy pure talcum powder, it’s easily available on the internet. Walmart has a 500 gram bottle for $15.45 and it seems to be pure hydrated magnesium silicate. I tried to post a link but it asked whether the user is robot or human and I didn’t get that and I clicked on the link initially. Given that it’s a dime powder, I’d wear a surgical mask or N95 mask when handling it and maybe use gloves.

2 Likes

I’ve never used it. Others do. Rema, a company that specializes in bike tube/tire accessories, sells it. Apparently others find it makes mounting easier. I’ve rarely had a problem.

I didn’t say it was hard to get. https://www.walmart.com /ip/ Talc-Powder-Laboratory-Grade-500-g/196773579 (remove the spaces). I just wondered if you car-people used it. When it was in HABA it was a buck or two for 22 ounces. Don’t need laboratory grade for tires.

dime?

Just as we did for years when it was baby powder.

On cars? Where? As for bikes, I haven’t fixed a flat in years, but have replaced tubes and tires, haven’t used it.

Never used it but could have today. A little off but tire related.

Had a flat on the lawn mower. Marked the hole with a big chalk x and took it to the tire shop to put a tube in it. New guy there who didn’t know me. Had to order the tube. Three days later paid my $25 and got my tire. A couple weeks later needed to mow and about ten minutes into it th3 tire was off the rim. I had bought a tube then in case it happened on the other side so I had one on hand. Took the tire off and sure enough they hadn’t removed the sharp object on the inside of the tire so punched a couple holes in the tube. (Don’t know what it was. Looked like a carb needle valve but short and looked like some wire had been attached to it.). Put the new tube in and I decided I’m going to invest in one of those cheap hf tire changers for $50. I’d just rather do it myself instantly.

Now I’m forgiving and patient but still can they be trusted? Then the new girl charged me $25 for my free tire rotation. I just paid it but I’m seeing a pattern. The kid took over for the dad a couple years ago so maybe some labor issues or training or something, but this stuff is pretty basic. Put a tube in a tire with a nail in the tire yet and it ain’t gonna last long. They did an alignment and that was ok, but now I’m back to strike 1, strike 2 after many years of not having actual car work done there. I had considered having my Acura alignment done there but glad I had the dealer do it instead. Just a word for shop owners. I may never say anything about it but won’t get any real work beyond tires.

1 Like

I feel your pain because I too have noticed a decline in tire shop’s quality of service over the past 10 years, presumably driven by cost/profit concerns.

It seems to have started with the “Chains”, competing primarily on price and speed, leading to the hiring of low cost unskilled installers who’s sole goal was to “slap it on quickly”.
I guess that worked for the majority of customers who only viewed tires as those “black rubber things” and only concern was cost and speed but it’s concerning when you have to watch like a hawk and explain to the installer the correct way to do their job.

An unfortunate side effect of the low cost “Chains” growth was the pressure it put on the “Independents” ability to stay in business. i.e. If “Lord of Tires” or “Fred’s Club” can deliver the same set of tires for $100 cheaper than “Bob’s Home Town Service”, most folks will go for the $100 savings ignoring the old adage that “You generally get what you pay for”.

In my case I’ve been lucky enough to still be able to find an old school Independent like “Bob’s”, and willing to pay the extra but wonder what will happen when “Bob’s” kids go off to college and take an easy job sitting in from of a computer in an air conditioned office when “Bob” retires?

Spellcheck strikes again. The word should be “fine”.

1 Like

Is this conversation about inner tubes or general tire care? Not sure.
I never worry about the inside of tires. I have an e-bike but I never worry about the inner tubes.

But anyway, I use Aero Cosmetics Aircraft Tire, UV Rubber and Plastic Protectant on ALL my vehicles tires, my JD tractor, my trailer tires etc etc etc.

Great stuff!

No inner tube supplies. Years ago, my boss told a kid with a bicycle that we have an agreement with the bicycle shop: We won’t repair bikes and they won’t try to fix cars.

You guys keep up the good work.

Turn a kid away with a flat tire on his bike? Turned out to be a sharp thorn so beware. Thought I’d cut them all down. But I just bought a spare tube and tire changer so I won’t bother the shop anymore. I can handle bike tires too.

It’s not just the little Mom 'n Pop shops who are having a problem getting good help. Remember, I posted this last May, I brought my 2019 Toyota Corolla into the dealer for its annual state Inspection. The service writer told me my wiper blades would fail and asked if I wanted them to change them and I agreed, the Licensed Virginia State Inspector installed the new wiper blades… The Driver’s side takes a 26" blade and the Passenger’s side takes a 13" and the photo speaks for itself… The Licensed Inspector put a 26" on each side and did not even notice the blade hanging off the side of the car…

I went right though the service writer, the service manager and right to the general manager and their excuse; since the pandemic, they can’t seem to find good help. I told them, this is not “help” their employee is a Licensed State Inspector and if he does such shoddy work then it’s only time before someone is hurt or killed by his Lackadaisical work…

The car comes with lifetime state inspections, their concession: Free Wipers…

1 Like

Heh heh. Never would have believed it but now I’m preparing for Armageddon. Wonder if I can teach tire repair to the wife? Down to my last valve core so picked up some more for those not suffering from valve core phobia.

I have one of those. At least for 13 and 15 inch steel rims, does the job well. Two challenges. You have to invent some way to prevent it from moving, esp when applying a twisting force. And it takes up some garage space when not being used.

In the garage I use telescoping square tube on strut channels. So I can easily move or dismount the tools. Just looking at it, I think I’ll do the same for it and only mount it when using it. Otherwise it will be hung out of the way. Actually what I wanted most was that tool for the beads instead of screwdrivers. Probably use it every two to five years.

How about an air tank bead buster the work good on big truck tires but you posiblaly would not need that high of pressure.

Yeah anything that big would go to the tire shop.

You could do what I did use a small propane tank and make your own with fittings from the hardware store.

I use it routinely when repairing bicycle tires. But that’s my only need for talc, so my current supply will likely last beyond my last bicycle tire repair. Then it will be estate-talc … lol … …

Speaking of bicycle tubes, I watched a tv show last night about a fellow in Japan who makes stuff out of old bicycle tubes, womens’ purses for example, selling for over $100 each. Do you folks use old bicycle tubes for anything? I use them for rubber bands, robust rubber-straps for face masks, & vacuum cleaner belts. If you get annoyed by the cheap face-mask over-the-ear bands stretching out making the mask not fit correctly, try a bicycle tube version, works much better.

1 Like