Tire shop put on more expensive tires than I purchased

I went to purchase new tires at a chain tire shop. I decided to try out the cheapest tire as it happened to get some good reviews (on the limited # of reviews I could find). Well, when I got the truck back, it had different tires. The difference in price between the two sets (of 4) would have been about $200.

Anyway, I didn’t really have time to deal with it or even really want to at the time because I figured that the more expensive tires were probably better anyway (ties has good reviews, better tread life, etc) and after a little bit of driving seem to be nice tires.

But now that I think about it, the tires on my receipt do not match the ones installed. So this may become an issue if I have warranty issues. Any suggestions on what to do?

Drive on, happy that you’ve managed to get more than you bargained for. :smile: That’s what I’d do.

1 Like

So you bought Kelly tires, but they installed Michelins . . . something along those lines?

Well, were they at least the right size?

And if you bout LT tires, is that what they installed?

If your truck calls for LT tires . . . some F150s actually require them . . . but they installed P series, that might be a problem

To answer your question, yes, you’re going to have a problem if you run over a nail and the tire needs to get replaced for free, and you show up with tires that don’t match the receipt

You’ll have to decide if the risk is worth it

Chances are you’ll be just fine.

I will offer a possible alternate scenario:
Perhaps the tire store is trying to get rid of tires that will soon be too old for sale, and–rather than taking a total loss on them–they are “giving” them at a lower price to tire buyers who will be so happy about getting more expensive tires that they won’t check the date codes on the sidewall.

I am just speculating here, but in an era when some people seem to value “alternate facts”, I thought that I would present a possible scenario. Only the OP can determine whether this scenario is factual or not.

Interesting thought. I’ve never really checked dates before as I go through tires pretty quickly. So the tires they put on are from late 2015 (about 1.3 years old). Don’t know much about tires, but appears somewhat old, but not really in a trouble zone for tires that have not been installed (but if anybody has more information that would be great).

Just another note: when in the shop, I was just waiting for them to call my name when the tires were done, and they never did. Finally checked outside and the truck was done. I went up to get the keys. The guy couldn’t find them in the usual bin for keys that are done. He went to the back and started walking and talking with this guy. They were gone for several minutes he came back and simply handed me the keys (I already had the paperwork from earlier). Don’t know if this means anything…didn’t really think anything of it at the time.

As long as you use up those tires in 4 or 5 years time, you’ll be fine. You don’t want to be driving them when they’re 8 years old or more, for example. They’ll be rotten, if you wait that long

Go back to the tire shop and ask for a receipt showing the tire make/model that actually got installed. They probably just forgot to update the receipt after discovering the mix-up. I think you are smart to just keep the ones that got installed.

2 Likes