Tire Rack experience

In New York, there are two choices when you pay your state income tax. You can track your out-of-state purchases and pay the actual sales tax owed or you can just pay a lump sum based on your income (which is likely chosen to be a higher amount on average). If you take the easy way out and pay the lump sum, then there’s effectively no sales tax on any specific purchase because you’re paying the same amount whether you make the purchase or not.

Tire stores deal with all kinds of configurations and can’t post every detail involving charges & fees on their website. Best to get a quote on all this before initiating the tire transaction.

I should mention I’m guilty of not following my own advice. One time I took my Corolla to an emissions testing place for its required biannual test, this was a place I’d gone to for 10 years or more. They posted a sign in the testing bay area that they offered a free re-test if the first test failed. Until then I hadn’t needed a re-test. This time it failed, and when I came in for the re-test they charged me $60. I showed them the sign on their own wall – it was still there – and you know what the tech did? He said it no longer applied and ripped the sign off the wall … lol …

As you might expect, I’ve moved on, using another testing place now. I did pay them the $60 tho.