Tire damage cause?

That was because of the broken belts and the large bubble in the tire where it wore through.

1 Like

Here is an example of that type of tire damage, the high spot will wear fast and will wear though the tire in a short amount of time.

I don’t think you have a suspension problem. Cupping due to a suspension issue like bad shocks/struts would occur around the tire at regular intervals, not just in one spot. I think that @CapriRacer gave you the best answer.

The only thing I could add to that would be that the cause could be due to the vehicle not being use for an extended period of time with less than the required pressure. If that occured, you may see this again soon on your other tires.

1 Like

the car is driven most of the week, I check the tire pressure on a regular basis because
the tpms system is blinking constantly. When this bad tire was replaced the next day, the technician held a device against the valve stem which diagnosed a bad tpms sensor.

i like the visual post

2 Likes

rough riding

I agree with others that the tire was damaged by hitting something, and I believe it was quite a while before the tire went flat. The way the tire tread is worn away before and after tell me that area was raised by being bruised. If that tread was worn away by cupping, the cupping would not exist in just one area of the tire.

This forum is so much improved when engineers subscribe and contribute. Shade tree mechanics mean well but some of their comments are not based on an abundance of knowledge.

This post is a wonderful example. Yes suspension problems can lead to tire problems but a little knowledge can be dangerous. Blaming this tire failure on worn shocks or alignment is not helpful.

I had an old tire fail like that on my truck one time, it was just too old too old to use. Esp if this is a rear (or if fwd, front) tire.

Yeah I think they should issue appropriate badges like an engineers badge and a novice badge so we know who is providing the answer and what their level of competence is. So anyone with 50 years of driving and millions of miles under their belt could be properly identified and just meaning well but with limited knowledge. I think we’d need to identify the type of engineer like mechanical, chemical, civil, PhD, software types etc. Then again after a while you kinda know who to trust on a particular subject and others aren’t shy about telling people they are full of beans.

2 Likes

I’d guess a experienced pro auto mechanic’s opinion is more likely to be correct about an internet-posed auto repair question than a diy’er engineer’s opinion. The diy’er engineer however may be able to add some insight to the subject that the pro mechanic just assumes isn’t important, or everybody already knows. And we do have some cases where diy’ers have guessed the correct answer here, when the pro guessed incorrectly.

I assume that means you won’t be asking any questions because you don’t know who is an actual mechanic .

I had a flat tire mystery of my own about a month ago. I backed out of my driveway and discovered that my front passenger tire was completely flat. I pulled out my new portable compressor that I got at Christmas and attempted to air up the tire. The new compressor has a digital pressure readout and the user manual claims it will inflate a tire in 3 minutes. At first all went well but when it reached 12 psi…the tire started spewing out air once again. I took the wheel off and put on the spare after that.

When I reached the tire store they took the tire off the rim and summoned me into the shop. Part one of the mystery was solved. A .22 bullet was found in the tire. I had them install a plug/patch and I drove home on the repaired tire. The bullet went through the center of the tread so it was fairly safe to patch. I called the local police and found out that a group of kids fired a .22 pistol on the day before my flat tire. They had found the gun on the side of the road and they claimed it went off on it’s own. The gun was turned in by one of the kid’s mom and the cops are still trying to find the owner.

I count myself lucky that all I had was a flat tire and a $24 repair bill. When I got home…I let all the air out of my spare and put my new portable air compressor to the test. It pumped up the tire to the preset 32 psi mark and it shut off in a little more than 2 minutes. It’s probably one of the best gifts that I’ve ever received at Christmas. The digital gauge sends it right over the top.

1 Like