Tips needed for draining Ford 9 inch differential

The best argument for using synthetic gear oil! Old school dino gear oil is nasty stuff. Old synthetic is still nasty… just less so!

doing the job outside on a breezy day helps with the smell. at least it did for me last summer. or nose plugs. LOL

The "pumpkin’

OK never mind. Never owned a Fjord.

That’s exactly the way I drained the rear end on my Olds. Seems to me that’s what the service manual said. I always pulled the cover off though too. Once it is off might as well just put a new gasket on.

The Ford 9 inch has no cover. The diff assy comes out the front. It’s necessary to remove the driveline and both the axles to remove the unit and drain the fluid.

Pulling the gear set out of a Ford 9" rear end.

Tester

1 Like

Heh heh heh. I’ve never owned a Ford.

That axle is a favorite in the hot rod community due to it’s strength and the ease of changing gear ratios. As seen in that pic Tester provided. Axle appears to be pretty short to accommodate some big ole tars fer hot roddin.

1 Like

I’ve never owned a Ford with a 9 inch or an 8 inch which is similar, just smaller… so mine had covers.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve only owned 2 Ford’s. An 89 mustang GT (loved it) and a 2013 f150 (meh…was kind of an impulse buy). Not sure when they phased out the 9”. Late 70’s?

Problem resolved. Checked my records and the rear differential was drained and refilled only about 30 K miles ago, so decided to just add some more friction modifier to the existing gear oil. After just of few miles of driving, no more clutch chattering. The clunks when changing gears from D to R seem considerably diminished as well. My theory, the differential clutches must have been sticking, winding up the axle a little against the leaf springs when coming to a stop. Then when changing from D to R the axle would rapidly unwind against the spring tension, causing a clunking noise.

Thanks to all, and esp “solution-tag” getter Scrapyard-John for the good advice.

1 Like